Ford transmissions

I recently replaced my work van with a 2001 E150 Ford cargo van. The transmission seems to have a couple of extra gears. One below OD but not as low as drive and another below drive but not as low as second. Can anyone
explain this to me? Bill __________________________________________________________________ bill gates ICQ#: 4720048 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me i See more about me: __________________________________________________________________
Sure can! It's strange, isn't it.
Here's the normal shift pattern: 1, 2, 3, lockup torque converter, 4. That's why it feels like you have 5 gears. It actually locks the tc in 3rd unless you have an unusual load or heavy throttle.
CJ

as
more
"Christopher Brown" wrote

3rd
On the AOD this was usually the case, but on the newer and electronic trannies, you will get TC lockup AFTER the shift to the top gear. Still feels like 5 gears... six on the newer 5 speed OD units (A5LD-5R55E-5R44E-5R55N) for Explorer-Ranger-Mountaineer-Lincoln, etc. On the AOD, you would get TC lockup in third, providing a very odd half-viscous, half-direct 1:1 drive through the transmission.
Rob * * *
The AOD doesn't have a lock up torque convertor. Stan K.
Trainfan1 wrote:

all 4 speed autos have a lockup converter. the aod doesn`t have a "electronic" lockup. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice

Not the AOD. No lock up period.

converter,
electronic
very
Yep my mistake, I forgot all about that wierd 60-40 split thing. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice

Perhaps you're more familiar with the RWD transmissions than I am, but I know that the shift pattern I described is accurate for my 2000 Taurus with its AX4N (now known as 4F55N)
CJ

The AOD never had a 1,2,3 lockup 4. The converter is not a locking converter. The AODE does. Also the processor can and will lock the converter in 3rd on all the transmissions with an electronically locking converter. In the AOD, the direct drive clutch was driven off the back of the converter housing, not through the turbine. So any time you are in 3rd you are not only 1:1 but mechanically linked to the rear wheels being that the converter was bypassed. When the OD ban is applied now some torque is supplied through the converter and some through the converter housing at about a 60/40 split.

Finally, the answer I've been looking for about the AT in my 89 GT. That explains the slightly odd feel about the shifts it makes. Thanks.