Ford Windstar (96) and Ford Escort (99) lighther/cigar not working for charging

Well, seems my Windstar and my son's Escort have the same problem - the lighter.
My Windstar lighter went belly up on me on Saturday. All fuses have been checked and are good. I use a plug in CD player which won't work
now because the lighter does not work, in all three places: Dashboard, floor lighter between driver and passanger seats, and bench lighter.
Any ideas?
As a side note, I had the car in for new tires just Saturday. I returned to find the lighter (and by default, the CD player (discovering this a few hours later) was not working. The lighter/CD player had been working up to that point. I can't imagine that anything was done that could have affected that. The second note I make is that I also had to relatch my car hood as it had been opened and not completely closed, an oddity, considering there's no need to open the hood to change tires. I'm just noting all the strangeness, possibly to keep you amused.
As for my son's car, it's a 'new' used 99 Escort with all fuses in place but no working ligther for CD player.
Again, any ideas?
NOTE: The lighter will work to light a cigarette, if I were a smoking person. Just doesn't light my CD player (or cell phone charger) any longer.
Thanks,
pas
Have you checked the fuse in the adapter itself? Should be able to unscrew the part that actually plugs into the lighter jack and it should have a 5 amp fuse in it.

On my 1985 Escort the lighter fuse is not in the fuse panel. It's in a separate fuseholder next to it. I have no idea why, but it was very confusing when I went looking for it. Are you sure you checked the right fuse?