Ford Windstar , Freestar and Mercury Montery Trans problems.

I heard there are alot of problems with 1999 - 2003 Windstar Van Auto Transmissions and 2004 - 2007 Ford Freestar Van and Mercury Monterey Van Transmissions.
I heard that they won't make it to 50,000 miles some even alot less - I heard Gears shreading in the transmission ???? Ford / Mercury make a nice looking van that even looks better than Toyota, Nissan, Kia and Honda. Have any of you heard of these Transmission problems.