Ford Winstar starter intermitten

Hi,
The engine starter for my sister's and bro's-in-law Ford Winstar (about 1999) works sometimes, and not at others. Having a warm or cold motor doesn't seem to matter.
The radio, dash lights, etc., come on in either situation, and they hear no clicking, such as a bad solenoid might make.
Anyone have suggestions or ideas? This vehicle has cost them a lot of $$ already, and I don't trust the dealership.
Thanks.
Dugie
Does the "theft" lite flash when it doesn't crank ??????????
Try a different key

Hi, I had the exact same problem and it got worse in time to the point I could not trust the car to start. I found out there is a very common problem with Windstars that is never reported. The leads to the starter motor get corroded even though they do not look it. I just took the one off and used some fine sandpaper to clean things and the problem never returned. You should be able to reach everything from above and in front of the engine. I hope this helps you. It was a $0 fix for me! RW

Thanks, Rich and johanb! I've forwarded this message to them, and I'll let you know if the problem is solved.
Have you had other problems with your Winstar? It's a shame that Ford doesn't report the corroded leads problem. No wonder many people don't trust Ford.
Dugie

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and help, especially Rich's suggestion to clean the starter leads. This is a follow-up.
Unfortunately, my sis & bro-in-law had dropped the Windstar at a garage before they read the replies I'd forwarded. My bro/law mentioned the lead corrosion to the mechanic when he picked up the car. Mechanic said it wasn't the leads, but a $200 starter replace. Now we'll never know; suspect, maybe. I suggested they ask for the old starter, but they didn't.
Dugie