Fords, Brake boosters and preferably Australia

I am looking for a Ford newsgroup, where it is likely one can see issues relating to older models like XY's of 1971 vintage. This one seems almost dead. Hello! Anyone listening there?

At the moment I would like to chat about the possibility of opening my power booster (PBR) and reconditioning it. I can get some parts for it. But there is the matter of opening it, it does not exactly come apart by screwing or by removing bolts...

Any one done this sort of thing themselves or can recommend where I might get info on it. Interested in any advice that has been found _personally_ useful.

Reply to
dorayme

If this is a standard vacuum brake booster, you should not rebuilt it yourself. There a several companies here in the US that rebuild boosters and 1971 vintage is not all that old for a couple of them. I don't immediately have the phone numbers but White Post Restorations in Virginia and Brake Specialty Co. in Atlanta, GA are a couple that I can think of off hand. Brake Specialty has rebuilt several for me that were almost impossible to find parts for. White Post has the capability to make many parts if needed. For your 1971, you may want to try Rick at Brake Specialty. He would probably provide parts if your want to screw it up before having someone do it. That booster has a very strong spring that must be contained as it is disassembled. When reassembling, that spring has to be compressed and a seal established as the booster is locked back together. The cost is not that bad excluding shipping.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I am in Sydney, Australia. I have heard of fellers fixing their own. Sort of would like to give it a go and see what might be involved. I have heard about the spring and there has to be ways to rig something up safely to contain it when opening and to comp[ressi it. How strong is it?

I can get some of the parts from a local auto parts dealer (Repco)... to my surprise.

I know all about getting mine reconditioned "professionally". Or in exchange (harder to find these days for my old bus!).

I would really like to be in touch with someone who has done it and has a 'can do' attitude. Or see a really good website explanation of the procedure. I have not looked real hard at my booster but i reckon there must be a 'home' technique to get it open that I don't have to work out myself.

Anyway, that is what I am thinking at least. Thanks Lugnut for your reply though, I do appreciate it.

Reply to
dorayme

I've rebuilt them with no problems. But today I would worry about the availability of parts. In the 60's and early 70's parts were around to do almost anything.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

So... great Al! Assume I can get parts.

Let me ask you two questions then:

(1) How do you open them?

(2) What set up to contain the springs when opening and closing up?

Reply to
dorayme