Found Source To Water Leak In Trunk (2001 taurus/sable)

hi - I have a 2001 taurus/sable.

I have now found the source of the water leaking into my trunk, but I don't understand it.

To see the leak, you need to pull the felt trunk fabric off of the inside overhead in the trunk (exposing the speakers). If I pour water into either of the roof seams where they intersect with the rear window, I can see a stream of water on the inside overhead area of the trunk. This is made up of two pieces of metal welded together for strength that form a channel. The water gets in this channel and drains through several small holes into the trunk. These look like factory holes, because it looks like they are very uniform and painted. Maybe used to hang the parts on wire when they were painted?

It seems like I need to remove the rear window to see why water is getting down into that channel rather than flowing around the trunk rubber seal.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm thinking of removing the rear window, if it seems like that is the problem. If you have any tips on removing the window, I'd appreciate it.

The other option is to caulk, but I feel that may be more of a band- aid than an acatual fix.

thx, rob

Reply to
rob

it sounds like the rear window seal is leaking.

Reply to
Tom

It is probably worth running a hose a hose on the window at progressively higher points to see if can locate where the water is coming in. If you find it using caulk or even paint to fill hole will may work just fine. Windows are important to the car's integrity during a crash. I would be hesitant to remove one unless I knew how to reinstall one properly.

Also, if you have a sunroof, this could be a source of the leak.

Reply to
Jeff

A sunroof revealing the trunk contents. Something new to me.

Reply to
Shawn

If the OP has a sunroof, the water can be coming in through a gap in the seal around the sunroof. Once water gets in, it can run anywhere, even strait back around the window and into the trunk. The water is most likely not coming from below, so anything higher than the leak is possible, including a sunroof.

Reply to
Jeff

around the sunroof. Once water gets in, it can run

most likely not coming from below, so anything

If it was coming through the sunroof then some indication of wetness should be noticed within the passenger area of the vehicle like the head liner getting waterlogged.

Reply to
Shawn

around the sunroof. Once water gets in, it can run

most likely not coming from below, so anything

Should is not the same as would. There are also drainage channels that could be clogged, causing the leak to appear in the trunk.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The only ay I can get the water to leak into the trunk is by running water right at the end of the seam where it goes into the rear window. No water anywhere else. Very specific and localized area. Very clean well cared for car. No obvious rust or any other type of problem is obvious. I will show it to ford tomorrow and get their opinion.

Reply to
rob