Freestar-- deal with $6000 rebate?

I know Ford's get sbashed around a lot for reliability issues etc, but I am in the process of replaceing an old minivan, and I find the $6000 rebate on the 2005 Freestar attractive, as it includes the Employee discount also. Is this van being discounted so heavily because it is a lousy van? or is that actually a good deal? It seems the later Windstars eliminated some of its reliability woes. I heard the early ones blew head gaskets easily. Any information apppreciated. My local dealer has several entry level Freestars new at $15,995 with rebate and employee incentive.

Reply to
snow

$16 sounds pretty damn nice for a new one, is that a bare bones version?

Reply to
Petebert

Go to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Pontiac, etc., and see what kind of a van you can get for $16k.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
snow

Pontiac?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

This is a great deal !!! I looked at one but my earlier version still is in great shape and in California you pay sales tax and registration fees based on the non discounted/non rebate price. Sales tax and License on base Windstar in California about $2800. If you need a new Van go for it. Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Didn't the Winstar recently receive some kind of award from JD Power for long term dependability? Measured over a 3 year period or such, so it would have to be 2002 I guess.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Yeah, Pontiac makes the Montana, which is a mini van.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Pontiac makes the Vibe and think there is a minivan, like the Montana. I could be wrong.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The Vibe is a small 4cy vehicle, nothing like the Freestar. The Freestar has a different drive train and has proven to be a good dependable vehicle from what we see in our business.

mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Yes, I know. I thought maybe a different kind of vehicle might be worth looking into, as well.

Personally, while others thought the Pontiac Aztec was butt ugly (and I could see their point), I liked it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So far I am happy with my 2005 Freestar Sports, though it is a gas eater but so are most minvan. One thing I like to point out to you if you plan to buy one with a DVD entertainment system built in. Don't, cause it can only play

1 type of media which is commercial pressed DVD movies. It can't play VCD or backup dvd. Goodluck with your purchase.
Reply to
RabbitEar

And amazingly if an ugly SUV like thing (Element or Scion xB) has a Japanese badge on it, it's cool.

Reply to
Bill 2

Only to those who like it. Personally, I think they are way cool because of their shape and functionality. Of course, I like the Aztec, too, so you could argue that I am cool- impaired. ;-)

If you don't like the Element, don't buy one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm not talking about car owners or random individuals, I'm thinking more of automotive journalists. They think the oval 96-99 Taurus and Aztek are ugly, but Toyota Echo and Honda element are cool.

Don't plan on it. I think for functionality minivans have a lot to recomend themselves, although I rarely haul big loads of people or cargo, so a sedan is better suited for me.

Reply to
Bill 2

Three things:

1) Taste changes over time.

2) Not all the journalists said the Aztec was butt-ugly. A lot of them said the Aztec was a truck a lot of people are either going to love or hate.

3) The Honda Element is cool. They are not only saying that because of the cool shape, but because of the funcationality of the vehicle. It is a perfectly consistant thing to say that the Aztec is ugly, but the element is cool. It is a matter of taste.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff