Freestyle door lock/unlock behavior

I own a 2005 Freestyle with the CVT transmission and just love every aspect of this vehicle except one:

When I turn the key off and remove it, it will unlock the driver's door only, and since it had automatically locked all the doors when I drove off, that means that when I get out and go around to get the kid(s) out, the doors are locked. If i don't remember to unlock via the door when I get out or use my remote (which I often leave under the seat since I have keyless entry too) the kid can't unbuckle his car seat and get out. My 2001 Expedition (which I too truly loved) did what one expected, unlocked all the doors when put in park and ignition turned off.

Does anyone know if this is something that can be programmed somehow, please, this is driving me batty.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
pipper88

Why don't you contact a dealer?

Reply to
Bob H

wrote in part:

|I own a 2005 Freestyle with the CVT transmission and just love every | aspect of this vehicle except one: | | When I turn the key off and remove it, it will unlock the driver's door | only,

No, it doesn't. It doesn't unlock ANY of the doors. You can open the driver's door even when it is locked.

There is no problem here, it is the way it is designed to operate....

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Reply to
john cline ii

I have contacted a dealer, they said all Fords work that way, although as stated, by expedition did not.

I realize too that it is not a PROBLEM, that it is by design that is does this, but I know in other manufactures, you can program the behaviour of the power locks.

What I want to know is if it is possible to reprogram to make all the doors open when turning off the ignition. I don't want to need to have the doors stay locked.

john cl> wrote in part:

Reply to
pipper88

You can program the auto-locks to not lock the doors in the first place. This procedure is in the Owner's Guide.

Your Expedition did not unlock all the doors when you placed it in park. I've owned 2 and this was never an option. Turning auto-locks off has always been an option. On my 2003 it was easily done from the message center. On the 1997 it required a more elaborate procedure.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It very well may had done so if it was equipped with a dealer installed alarm system.

Reply to
Fred Miller

Good point. In that case, you really need to find the manual for the aftermarket system they installed.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Maybe not when I put it in park, but most certainly when I turned off the ignition. I did not have a message center on my 03 expedition.

Maybe my Ex had the after market, and the freestyle the factory?

Reply to
pipper88

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I think you're on the mark here. My '95 Taurus Wagon had power door locks that didn't unlock when the ignition was turned off. After I had an aftermarket alarm system installed they did unlock when I turned the car off. I found it a nice feature. And since my liftgate latch was electrically operated, I was able to get the release added to one of the feature buttons on the remote. A handy bonus.

- Snuffy -

Reply to
Mike Bender