FS - 97 Taurus GL Wagon - Needs Engine Wor/Swap

My 97 Taurus GL wagon needs to go. 135K, overall good condition, BUT, the engine needs either a major overhaul or a swap due to a slow internal coolant leak that seems to have gotten to the engine bearings, despite very frequent oil changes. The engine runs strong, but shows low oil pressure (flickering oil light at idle after warm up), and has considerable lifter noise.

Other than the engine, the car is in very good condition - recent brake and wheel bearing work, Goodyear Eagles, DieHard battery, new windshield. Includes repair manuals and some new spare parts, including a pair of front brake discs. Equipped with light duty Draw-Tite trailer hitch and trailer electrical wiring (used only for pulling light weight 4X8 utility trailer, mostly locally). Roof rack. Very clean, inside, outside, and engine bay, Interior in good shape. Color - Cayman green metallic. Original owner.

Because of the above engine condition, I'm not lookng for a lot for the car. $1500 OBO.

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Good luck, your probably looking more in the $500 range to be realistic. Especially if its a duratec. And if you pulled a trailer the Ax4's life time is not enhanced either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

I think to get $1,500 for this or anywhere close to it, you'll need to part it out.

Reply to
Jimbo

That's what the OBO is for in the price posting!

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Nobodies trying to give you a hard time, just being realistic. You did need to post if it was a duratec or a vulcan engine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

If it is a '97 GL, it has to be a Vulcan, doesn't it?

Reply to
Jimbo

Stock GL should be, but you never know if it was a special order option. Like the FLex fuel was a option too. If one was considering the car, you would want to know for sure. Used duratecs are harder to find and more expensive. If you had the ability to do a engine swap, a used vulcan would be reasonable. You would just need a newer one with coil packs and cam sensors on it. I have a 93 vulcan in my garage now, but it would not swap in because of this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Yes, it indeed is a 3.0 Vulcan OHV V6. I was disappointed that it developed a coolant leakage problem - I thought the 3.0 was OK vs. the 3.8 Duratecs that had lots of head gasket issues.

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Its rare, but its not unheard of for a 3.0 vulcan to break a head bolt and have a head gasket leak. The four i have owned never have had this problem. But i took parts off a junked wagon who had coolant coming out of the tail pipe. My 93 3.0 wagon has over 200K on it. It has some issues, but still a daily driver. Rear Motor mount and rear brake cylinder kit are on the list for today.

A usable 3.0 vulcan should be able to be had for around $500 or so. Its the R/R that will get you cost wise. If you did replace it, i would change the freeze plugs before you install it since the 96 and newer seemed to have some problems with internal corrosion.

If you were closer to Nebraska, i would low ball buy it and stick a motor in it. (like i need another project ;) ) Good luck what ever you do. It would seem ashamed to junk it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz