Fuel economy myths

Page 1 of 6
"one of the hoariest of urban myths: That forcing higher fuel economy standards on American car buyers is what's needed to encourage more energy-efficient vehicles and make Detroit more competitive with its
import competitors.
"That's wrong..."
Fortune magazine article: http://301url.com/cmr

Oh really!! Forcing higher mileage requirements may be the only way to get the public to consider conservation.
Detroit is not competitive already, in many instances. Economy is but one.

Must be my short term memory failing me, but I just can't recall any time that the price of gas ever plummeted. Regardless of conservation practices, or any other influences intended to effect the market, the price has stayed where it was. It is a false logic that believes that conservation will have any impact on the price of gas at all.

And when was the last time you did this? What were those oil prices? What had they been before and after? What did the price of gas drop (plummet...) to after your conservation efforts?

I must have missed that huge downswing in the price of fuel. Damn - I hate it when that happens.

Many of us find it easy to miss out on the events that never really occur.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
| |Must be my short term memory failing me, but I just can't recall any time |that the price of gas ever plummeted.
The last significant price drop in my memory was around the end of the first Gulf War. Regular in my area of New York was under $1 per gallon... and it stayed that way for quite awhile.
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 06:31:10 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Gas here regularly drops from about $ 1.14 per liter to $.94, and occaisionally (but not lately) $.87.
When the reserves gut too high, the price drops. For any excuse at all, it goes up.

Correct - but it's hovering around a consistent price. That's not a plummet as the OP stated.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 19:59:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

That's a drop of over 1.05 per US gallon overnight.

<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

If you see prices fluctuate over $1.00 per gallon (or the metric equivalent) overnight, I'd suggest you live in a unique economy.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 07:41:21 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Southwestern Ontario - what can I say?? In Kitchener Waterloo the prices are generally higher than Toronto or Hamilton, It usually goes higher before it drops, then it drops farther.

<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

Around the northeast US, and I suspect most of the US, it would be a very rare thing to see a $1.00/gallon swing in the price of gas - unless of course we're talking about an increase. As prices have declined some from the high of a short time ago, we really have not seen a $1.00 decline over a period of greater than a year.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I do not know where you live, but here in Ontario, gas is at 95.1 cents a liter. Was at 92.2 Wednesday, and it's been 95.1 since Friday. Hasn't dropped below 92 in MONTHS as far as I can recall. As for the OP, he made it seem like gas was $2.00, then dropped to .50 cents.

I'm In Kitchener and I've bought gas this summer anywhere from 87.3 to 1.14.
Generally it's been about .92 to 1.04 Yesterday 96.8

Must be nice :-P I'm in Durham and I don't recall seeing anything below 92 in several months. In fact, when I saw it at 92 a few days ago, I was really stunned, as it seemed to have been hovering at 95 or so for a couple of weeks.

93.6 at the station around the corner this afternoon.

Splendid. If you were in the original Durham you would be paying maybe 92+ pence per litre, more than double...
:-( DAS
Only thing I see that will force higher fuel economy is for gas to get up to around $10 a gallon. Most people have not even slowed down at $3.Over the road trucks use alot more fuel than cars do and get alot less gas mileage. I was told they get around 4mpg loaded! Maybe detroit could help them with gas mileage too.

Chevy Man wrote:

Over the road trucks also move a lot more material per gallon of fuel burned than cars.

A 80,000 lb truck will move 320,000 lbs per mile per gallon of fuel while a 3000 lb car that gets 40 mpg will move 120,000 lbs per mile per gallon of fuel. Trucks often get high mileage, more on the order of 5 or 6 mpg.
Jeff

Based on your figures, we could save a lot of fuel by putting seats in those trailers and loading up a bunch of people all going to the same place. All we need is a good name for it and people will want to ride the new vehicle.
How about calling it the People Truck? Or the People Hauler? Or the Omnibus? Yeah, then it would be shortened and just called the Bus.
Think it would ever work?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'd like to see some backup of this math.
tractor trailers can haul 100,000 legally, to 108,900 legally in the state of maine, this is slighly higher in canada up to 137500 on a btrain, btrains get around 4mpg... up to 5 depending on the roads.
What can a diesel 1ton truck haul at 20mpg?
Picasso wrote:

Put your numbers in, and you get similar results. Trucks can haul more stuff in terms of tons of material hauled per mile per gallon of fuel burned. You want to argue that trucks can haul a 500,000 lbs of stuff a mile per gallon burned, go ahead. But the point is that when hauling things, trucks are more efficient at hauling stuff than cars.
Railroads even more so.

Probably about 1 ton.
Jeff