Fuel economy myths

Page 2 of 6
Jeff wrote:

Oh i'm not arguing with you.
I'm just stating the payloads... :)
I hear ya on the railroad... 3 engines pulling 150-200 cars, which is the equivalent of anywhere from 400-600 maybe more trucks on the road... thing is, the rail is expensive too.. and you have to get it on the rail... then the rail moves it, then get it back off the rail... all the handling costs money too... its often cheaper (depending on distance of course) to use a truck.
Picasso wrote:

Trains *CAN* be difficult to steer too! :)

And a bitch to back up to a loading dock...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Oh, yeah! And then there's parallel parking...
And the best part is, in Los Angeles (and a lot of other places) we had a lot of combined rail systems - they moved a lot of freight over the standard-gauge trolley lines late at night with electric locomotives, and the small lumber yards and small industries had a siding on their property. That way the bulk freight (that rail is so much better at) could stay in one rail car for the entire trip.
Now the trolley lines are long gone, all the old branch freight lines and sidings that industries used to use have been abandoned, and any industries that want to ship by rail can't do it without paying for transfer to truck for the last mile - even if they were built next to a railroad siding. If the rail line has been shut down all the NIMBYs in the area will fight like rabid wolverines to keep it from being started up again. The usual BS - "It's unsafe, it's noisy..."
--<< Bruce >>--

My son and I recently went looking for a car that would fit him. I say this because he's 6'6". We went to a Toyota dealer and got a laugh when he tried out their convertible. He sort of looked like the guy in the James Bond movies with the metal teeth. The only way he could have fit would have been to put a fish bowl over his head!! Needless to say, we ended up buying a Chevy Malibu SS. To the point, it gets 20mpg with a light foot, and about 24 on the open road. Given that he now has a car in which his legs aren't rubbing the dash, with a telescoping steering wheel, and all the amenities a young guy (or an old guy like me), would like. Comfort and power...what more could one ask for?

The first car we bought for my youngest daughter was a 1994? Dodge Colt 200. The guy who previously owned it and put the first 94000km or so on it was a college basketball star who stood 6'9" in stocking feet.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

The size of hte car doesn't always mean the size of the seats are better.
I had more room in an 88 nissan sentra than i do in the POS ranger i drive at work.
My crown victoria doesn't have quite as much room as it should in the front either, i think the newer seats do go back about another 3 inches, but mine is always maxed out all the way back, and it's really not far enough... its still very comfortable.
Picasso wrote:

3,000 x 40 = 120,000 80,000 x 4 = 320,000 2,000 x 20 = 40,000
Chevy Man wrote:

Wont affect anyone anyway - in the uk we pay the equiv of 7.70 a US gallon - people here are still happily ploughing around in 20mpg cars (me included).

Try living in Canada. We send oil to the States to be refined into gas, and then we end up paying a hell of a lot more for it then they do over there. Our price is usually in the high 90 cents a liter. You may be getting screwed over by your prices (no offence intended), but so are we, just on a different level. As for people paying, I think you are mostly correct. No matter how high the gas prices go, if people can afford to pay that price, they will. If not enough people can pay the high price, the gas companies will have to lower it as they would loose too much money. I agree with your earlier statement. We need to start using anti-matter. An ounce of that stuff would probably run our cars for years <G>

The cars I see in the UK, I travel their every few years, are significantly smaller on the average than those in NA, with smaller engines. In NA a mid sized car needs at least a 2.7L V6 engine to sell.
However in both the UK and NA there seems to be a trend for some people to go larger and some to go smaller, so the number of fuel efficient cars in the middle is decreasing. Here in western Canada over 50% of vehicles are large truck based SUVs or tall heavy cross over vehicles with large engines. Neither get good urban mileage which is most of the driving.
who wrote:

This is true, we do have an average mpg of around ~35 these days, but thats not the point really - my point was that even at 770 a gallon it makes no odds to peoples usage. Everyone moans, everyone complains about the taxes (its something close to 80% tax in total IIRC) but people dont change their habits. Sure there are some that get a smaller car, but most just carry on as before with each increase. Increasing fuel costs wont bother anyone until it exceeds public transport costs by a LONG way. Here in the UK I can get a (late,smelly,crowded) train to my place of work for ~6 return. Or pay 7 and drive in comfort in a very low mileage car. You'd have to either make fuel ~$15 a gallon or reduce the cost of the trains significantly to make any of the majority reconsider car use.
Coyoteboy wrote:

How do you figure we have a mileage of 35mpg???
I think fuel mileage isn't getting any better than it was 30 years ago.
Picasso wrote:

Going from a friend-questioning at the pub, most people and their family report between 30 and 40mpg, the odd one gets 45 regularly, the odd one (me) gets 20-24. Entirely un-scientific but based on the real-world experience of 20+ people across a range of cars and operating conditions.
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:21:57 +0100, Coyoteboy

Two questions you never believe the answers to:
What gas mileage do you get.
How often do you have sex.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

:) Pretty sure none of my friends have any need to lie about their fuel mileage, certainly in the 7 cars in my close family we average ~30ish, held up by my brother in his 330d and my missus in her 1.6 renault. That said, some of my mates are so car-unfriendly I'd be less than convinced by their calculations, but by rough "i get Xmiles per tank" quotes they seem right enough. I really cant understand why anyone would WANT to lie about MPG - unlike the second point lol.
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
Two questions you never believe the answers to: 1.) What gas mileage do you get? 2.) How often do you have sex? ___________________________________________
"Coyoteboy" wrote:
Some of my mates are so car-unfriendly I'd be less than convinced by their calculations, but by their rough "X miles per tank" quotes they seem right enough. I cant understand why anyone would WANT to lie about MPG. _____________________________________________
I once had a motorhome that got about 7-8 mpg. Whenever I fueled up someone nearby with a small car would invariably ask, "What kind of mileage does that thing get?" To avoid the somber headshaking and eye-rolling I would say, "I get 19 miles per gallon, but only if I go easy on the gas going uphill!" It was delightful to see their facial expressions as their brains tried to cope with the unexpected answer.
Rodan. < - - - - Showing an uncharacteristic mean streak.
Rodan wrote:

I'd just call you a liar and walk off :)
Miles per imperial gallon, presumably.
I am also in the UK. I get 26 mpg in my 3.2 l motor. It's an older car now (2001) with 6 cylinders. As I do less than 5000 miles pa I don't care too much about prices. Biggest cost anyway is depreciation, followed by insurance.
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I prefer using L/100KM, keeping in canadian style, but nobody knows what the hell you're talking about.
7.8L/100KM = 30mpg
my ranger 3.0L gets 13l/100km ... 16.8mpg
I'm talking US MPG
1L/100km = ~235 (i use that for rough math in the truck)