Fuel in engine oil

I recently changed the oil in my 83 Ford Mustang 5.0, and noticed a significant amount of gasoline mixed in with it. What would be the cause of this problem? and what effects would it have on my engine?

Morsey wrote:

Sounds like a really rich fuel mix and/or incomplete combustion. The excess fuel will act like a solvent and wash all the protective oil off the cylinder walls and thin the oil to almost nothing, ruining the engine.
Not sure about this engine, but in the good old days of carburetors and mechanically driven fuel pumps, an internal leak in the pump would let gasoline into the sump. Used to be quite common. May be worth a look.

excess fuel

walls
Not sure about this engine, but in the good old days of carburetors and mechanically driven fuel pumps, an internal leak in the pump would let gasoline into the sump. Used to be quite common. Might be worth a look

Or.. as I say.. the BAD OLD Days before Port EFI!
But I agree. If the car started and ran okay... that's probably the culprit.. actually worth just throwing a new part at, on suspicion, in my opinion.

cause
GM 2.8 V6 engines of that time on 4 barrel carbs got a terrible reputation for bad rods and cranks(knocking)because of a flaw in the carburator computer enrichment scheme.default was overrich.and it thinout the oil and ruined the cranks on many a car.as soon as they went to multiport injection the engines proved to be real winners.i still prefer the ford 3.0 though.

Not really, with the FI they often had the O2 sensor go out which told the comp to lean it, lean it, and they often punched holes in the pistons still leaving the rep that they were a sucky motor. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

That's not a bad motor.. that's poor system design.

I didn`t say it was a bad design, just had the rep from the problems as a poor eng. KB