Fuel Leak: 86 Lincoln Mk VII 3.0 FI

RE: Fuel Leak: 86 Lincoln Mk VII 3.0 FI
Fuel odor comes thru heater vents when idling, disappears when moving. I can not find any wet spot anywhere under the hood or between
the fuel tank and the engine compartment.
One person says it may be a leaking O-Ring at one of the injectors, but I can't see the injectors because a cast aluminum intake plenum, shaped like a giant rectangular mushroom, covers them.
Can anyone give me some hints:
1.) If I get the plenum off, how can I pressurize the injectors to look for the leak.
2.) Why is a big plenum needed instead of a simple small box between the throttle body and the maniford?
Thanks,
Wendy & John. ____________________________________________
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:43:59 GMT, "Wendy & John"

to "stack the air"
foctard
hurc ast

It probably is an o-ring leaking on one of the fuel injectors on your 5.0 (302 cid is more at 4.9L, actually). The car is coming up on 20 years old. Just replace all the injector o-rings. Not really something for a beginner to do; take it to a reputable garage.

Wendy & John wrote:
1.) If I get the plenum off, how can I pressurize the injectors to look for the leak.
2.) Why is a big plenum needed instead of a simple small box between the throttle body and the manifold?
Sharon K.Cooke wrote:
Take it to a professional and replace all the injector O-Rings. You have a 5.0, not a 3.0 .
snipped-for-privacy@siomd.com wrote:
Jump the pump relay to pressurize. The plenum is there to "stack the air." ____________________________________________________
DOH! You spotted it. You are right. It is a 5.0, and I mis-typed it. Thanks to both of you for the comments.
Wendy & John.