Fuel Not Getting There, Troubleshoot How?

Page 2 of 2
I don't see a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. I'll take a pic and post it.

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

I found it. I didn't recognize it because of the cap. Anyway, there's no pressure.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Sounds like your outa gas! try this - 1st check and see if the fuel pump reset switch is tripped!!? if that's not the case then Turn your ignition on for 10 seconds then off again and on again for an additional 10 seconds do this about 10 times. then try and start the engine
Where is the "fuel pump reset switch" on a 2001 Ranger? Is this a circuit breaker with a button on it? Actually, I can't even figure out which fuse or circuit breaker goes to the fuel pump. The circuit breakers I do find in the under-hood fuse box are the kind without reset buttons.
And I don't understand. What's the ten-on-off operation going to do? Is that how you reset some kind of circuit breaker? But it sounds simple enough. I certainly could try it. -- (||) Nehmo (||)
The location of the fuel trip reset button is indicated in you owners manual
mike hunt

Cycling the ignition on and off as Backbone suggested, if the fuel pump is not in fact burned out, should prime the fuel system. All you are doing is turning the fuel pump on and off so as to pump fuel into the fuel lines.
As far as the fuel pump relay, on my 1991 Ranger, it is under the distribution block on the passenger side of the truck. Now realizing that my truck is 10 years older than yours, the relay should look the same, and hopefully be in relatively the same spot. Look for a green and black relay that are the same beside each other under the distribution block. The green relay is the fuel pump relay. The inertia switch, or "fuel pump reset", is under the dash on the passenger side, again this is on my 1991, I don't know if they changed the location or not. It may be hidden under the carpet, should look similar to a relay with a reset button on the top of it. If you can't find it, check the index in your owners manual for "inertia switch", it should tell you the location.
I agree with Jonah as well though. Too many times if you run the vehicle low on fuel, you will overheat the fuel pump in the gas tank and it will die. The idea behind the pump being mounted so low on the pickup is to try and keep it covered with fuel so as to cool it off, but eventually if the truck is driven long enough without a fill-up, there will be a period where it is not submersed in gas.
BTW, your friend has a nice rack :-)
Good luck Sharky

Unlikely this is the problem, but it's worth a check. Somewhere (probably on the passenger side foot well or up towards the dash) there's a fuel pump shut off switch. It may be partly enclosed in a plastic housing, but should have an opening in it. It's designed to trip if the truck is wacked. They occasionally trip for no good reason. There's a button on it to push to reset it.
RCE
Tried that. I can't depress the recessed button. Another poster told me that means it is not tripped.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Hi Nehmo,
Anything new? Did you figure out the problem? Listen... The best way to see this problem though is as follows.
We know that you checked the " (German) Schradrer valve" <Possible spelling error... No pressure here... You did find the enertia switch; you tried it and it seemed ok but you mentioned a red color looking like tripped to me. As Temporary meaure I would bypass this switch. Hot leads across the Enertia switch... Do a test and see if the fuel pump works or not, as noted in other emails here you will hear a noise from the gas tank, you will also be able to test at the Valve of the fuel rail. You will at this point also try a test start of the truck. Try to start it...
Nothing yet? Zero?
Find the wires feeding the fuel pump.... At the gas tank... There is a connector back there... Disconnect and see if you have voltage when someone turns the ignition to run. If you have voltage then your pump has probably failed. If you do not then on to other ideas but we have taken many problems out of the loop...
Let me know what is happening...
Gerald
A mechanic at the Ford dealer didn't know anything about the red stripe on the inertia switch but assured me "if you can't push the button, then it isn't tripped". The red might mean there still is danger of fuel pumping.
Yes, I'd like to test the connector for electricity, but where the connector is isn't obvious.
I did learn that the parts stores were quoting me on the wrong pump. I looked it up myself on http://www.airtexproducts.com/ . The 8th character in the VIN (either V or U) is important to ID the pump. It refers to the ability of the vehicle to take alcohol-mix fuel. Apparently I need the Airtex E2258 pump, a V, mix-fuel-capable, type.
I've been delayed on working on the truck. I needed to work, and had to waste this morning in court. I got a citation for 5 tires and a clothes dryer being in the back yard (visible only to the alley and one neighbor). I was already fined $140 for the same dryer being in the *front* yard, and the inspector, Richard Felix of Kansas City, Kansas, told me I could move it to the back. Now he wrote me again for the same dryer plus the tires. There's no point in arguing these things in court. Unless you bribe someone, or you're connected, you can't win in municipal court.
It's no wonder most places around here are vacant. Between the government and the other criminals, it's impossible to live here.
I realize this is irrelevant to the thread, but you understand it's on my mind.
[And thank you for the concerned post. I needed it.] -- (||) Nehmo (||)
The nine year old and I were out for a bike ride yesterday. We came to a busy intersection and as we approached a 93 Tempo stalled out in the right turn lane. I tried a couple quick things and then went for the inertial switch in the trunk. The button appeared to be OK as the red reset was depressed quite a bit. I pushed it hard anyway and then the motor started right up. I suspected the switch itself may have been bad. The vehicle had made no contact with anything although it may have stopped quickly.
That would not trip the fuel safety switch, it requires of force of more than one 'G' to disengage
mike hunt

Thanks, you freaking genius. This happens regularly on Ford vehicles. Call it a bad switch or whatever. Anything that exists on a car can malfunction. A hard stop with a certain type of failure mode on the mechanism does set it off. I was there. I pushed the button and the car would then start instantly. Apparently, you know only what you read about the way things are supposed to be theoretically in a textbook. Meanwhile, the rest of us are forced to actually get things done on the road. Your only tool must be your checkbook and your cell phone.