Fuel Octane - '85 T-Bird

My 1985 T-Bird has been running ok recently except for pinking a little when taking away from a junction or traffic lights etc. When I was coming home
from a holiday in Scotland I inadvertently put in super unleaded fuel instead of regular. Super unleaded is rated 97 RON while regular unleaded is rated 95 RON. Since I did this the car has been going great and has cured the pinking problem. I goes like a rocket and has never been smoother.
Will using the higher octane fuel damage the engine at all? I have a 3.8 V6.
Fiona London, UK
Fiona Warshawski opined in

NO problem... If it works for you, that's fine.
Steve Stone opined in

Or... she's been using BP. Like my wife's 85; until I got her to change brands, BP premium was required to avoid pinging.
Fiona.. you COULD try a different high volume petrol.
Thanks to everyone for your input on this one. I'ved has the timing checked and all is ok. The EGR valve is disconnected as it's far too expensive to buy a new one here in the UK. I usually put in Esso or Shell (my local gas stations). I try not to use BP. Don't like it. Our other car is an '85 Chrysler LeBaron and that does not run well on BP! Why, I'll never know!
Fiona London.

when
Angel opined in

Because it's BP!
They've learned, somehow to make the cheapest formula possible that meets the Octane reqs.
... and their US branch.. Standard (SOHIO) did the same just before name change to BP.
Ahh!, thanks for that! Now I know! I'll make sure I always bypass BP stations.
Fiona