Fuel Sender unit Test

1983 Ford Club Wagon with 351 ci. Front/rear gas tanks. My front gas tank quite indicating level to gas gauge last year. 2 months ago my rear tank quit showing gas level on fuel gauge.
Strange coincidence.
Dual gas tank with seletor switch/ gas gauge shows empty always now for front and rear. Selector switch is new and good. tested resistance between switch and gas gauge/instrument panel good. Now I need to check fuel sender units at gas tanks.
1983 Ford body chassis electric Shop manuel tells how to check calibration of fuel gauge "without Tester". It says to disconnect wiring at sender unit, connect "22 ohm resistor" to the lead wire and then ground these. Turn ignition on and gauge should indicate mid scale on the gas gauge. If it shows mid gauge then the sending unit in the tank is bad. If the gauge still shows empty then there is a problem between the sender unit and the gauge. My question...the "22 ohm resistor". can I go to radio shack, ask for a 22 ohm resistor, put alligator clips on it and use that for this test... Thanks..
Robert Johanson opined in

Yes... 1/2 watt
22 ohms is 22 ohms.

Radio Crap will have that res.or get a 20 ohm and a 2 ohm.The test is simple get ready to replace the floats on the sending units
Robert Johanson wrote:

How do you replace the floats without blowing yourself up??? Besides very carefully :)