Fuel Tank Capacity Standard on all Explorers?

To the best of my research efforts, it appears that the tank capacity is 79 liters or just about 21 gallons on the '98 Explorer. Since filling my tank from a point where the gas gauge reads "E", the most I've ever been able to put in was 16 gallons. Is there really 5 gallons left in the tank when the gauge is on E? Is it possible that I have a smaller tank than the 21 gallons that my online research seems to turn up? I'm making a long trip soon, and trying to determine how many miles I can expect to travel on a tankful of gas and how many refueling stops needed.

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

sites at:

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Look in your owner's manual. And get a credit card with a big limit or maybe a second morgage.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Is yours a 2 door or 4 door Explorer?

Fuel capacity for the 2 door is only 17.3 gallons. The 4 door is 20.8 gallons.

I've never owned a Ford (or any other brand) where I couldn't get in at least as much gas in the tank as the advertised capacity when I ran the tank down to "E."

You may have a bad sending unit, a bad fuel gauge, or a bad voltage regulator. Does the temperature gauge indicate cooler than you think it should?

If you really need to know haw far you can go, fill up a five gallon gas jug and drive the car till you run out. Then add the five gallons and fill up the vehicle at the next station to figure your actual capacity. However, I doubt that you have a smaller than advertised tank.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The fuel pump is in the gas tank and the gas surrounding the pump cools it. Running out of gas usually causes the pump to fail. Ford doesn't want you to use the last few gallons in the tank saving you the expense of replacing the pump.

Reply to
Pat