Fusion getting good marks?

Page 1 of 3
Any comments on the Fusion?

The Fusion out scored the Camry and Accord in a recently published consumer survey, if that means anything.
mike hunt

What survey?

Some of the reviews I've read are quite positive. I've had my eye out for one. The V6 with six speed auto is the way to go. With the incentives, you should be able to get one nicely loaded for less than the Toyota/Honda competition.
For me, it's more than I want to spend and I estimate I'd be getting around 25mpg in mixed driving. I'd be spending $50 every other week on fillups. I'd be taking a MPG cut from what I drive now if I bought one.
FWIW, The Fusion and Mustang got top picks from JD Powers for the category of vehicle they are. No other US Automaker were present. John
I viewed a Milan and when I opened the trunk the crossmember behind the top of the back seats stuck out the a sore thumb. It was uncovered and the spotwelds showed. I took another look over the car and decided that the construction was bland and not built nearly as well as my 2000 Taurus. It is another example of the accountants running the show instead of the public's desire for the kind of cars Ford used to build. But I can say this as an overall. A little fenderbender to my 2000 Taurus caused me to get a rental unit for a few days. It was a 2004 Cobalt 4 door 18000 miles and the car was built pretty well. Then a few weeks later, another parking lot bump into my 95 Taurus caused me to get a rental unit; this time a 2005 Toyota Corolla. That car didn't have nearly the nice features that the Cobalt had and the Toyota was just plain noisy, from the engine to wind noise. The seats were lousy and the adjustments were the same. The good news is that GM, and I believe Ford too, CAN build good cars to compete with the Toyotas, if they want to.
JohnR66 wrote:

thx for your comments
Nobody wrote:

STELLAR! STALLER! I'm not sure on the speling. Why do not they put a spel cheque here know why?

Yes...People that are smart enough to buy a good Canada made Ford product usually know how to spell without needing one...<g>
Lansing
To e-mail remove the X from my address...

In an article about Toyota entering NASCAR, it was pointed out that the Camry is made in USA, Fusion is made in Mexico, and the Malibu and Charger and made in Canada.
--
---
However the cars that race are purpose build RWD chassis, designed to race at high speeds, that have no relationship to those FWD vehicles available at you local dealerships LOL

All the "race cars" are built in the US and most are assembled near Charlotte NC.
While the real Fusion is assembled in Mexico, must of the parts are of US origin. You can't say the same for the Camry.
I have a 2007 Fusion and so far I am delighted (3 month, 4,500 miles - no problems at all).
Ed

You can't say that for the Fusion, unless 30% is "must of the parts." http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news38 /
You're correct about one thing: You can't say the Camry is made in Mexico because it is made domestically (in the US or Canada). Most of the US-built Camry's parts are domestic (http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&story=amMade1206&subject=more&referer=&aff=national ). The Camry is built in Kentucky. The hybrid was scheduled to be built there starting late last year. And Camries will be built in Indiana in Subaru's Lafayette plant, as well, according to Toyota. http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/manufacturing/index.html
Jeff

I've seent hat article, but I can't find the source of the 30% number. I've searched the NHTSA web site and it is not listed. The only credible list I can find claims that Ford vehicles as a whole include 78% domestic content and Toyota vehicles as a whole contain 47% domestic content. I can't find a breakdown by model. Do you know of such a list?
Ed

I can find it for some specific vehicles from media reports. As far as I know, there is no master list that has all the models.
Now, you think that if Toyota vehicles as a whole, including those imported from Japan, contain 47% domestic content, that some would have <40%, some 40-70% and some more than 70% US content (like the Toyota Sienna and Toyota Camries built in Kentucky), so you would expect to have Toyotas with VINs of 1, 4 and 5. Yet all US-built Toyotas have VINs of 5. Very curious.
I await Mike's explaination as well as the exact URL (not go to the US Department of [something that changes daily) website and search) that proves us wrong.
Jeff

Look at the percentages for each. The fact that the 500 has a '1' and the Camry and the Sienna a '4' and the F150 a '1' while the Tundra has a '5' proves what you chose to believe IS wrong
mike

We have yet to see the URL that you have that supports your mistaken belief for the reason the US has three, rather than one number assigned as do all other countries. Until you show that, I stand correct ;)
mike

You got it ass-backwards. You made a claim about the VIN that 4 and 5 were because, 'they are running out of VIN numbers' that you have yet to verify. ;)
mike
.