Galaxy Brakes

My S-reg (1998) 2.3 Ghia X Galaxy was serviced recently and due to the locking wheelnuts being impossible to remove (by a Ford dealer who obviously wasn't prepared to try too hard), the said the steering wobble under braking
was due to worn out pads and disks.
They quoted me a huge amount to replace them, but I resisted as I think they were it on.
I have replaced brake pads before on other cars, but I wondered if anyone had any advice about pitfalls to avoid and also how to confirm whether the disks do need changign or not. They have a slight lip but less that other cars that have been 'okayed' by main dealers before.
If I wanted to do the disks as well myself, are there points I should take care of ?
I'm in the UK - what price would everyone else expect to pay for new front disk and pads (and new rear disks and pads) ?
take a look on http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ there are a couple of posts on the forum about changing disc's and pads, http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/Forum/index.php?s b6190994ecb1b5be903cd8427a4 08e&act=ST&fb&t91&hl= is one to mention. its not a hard job but you may need the correct tool to retract the rear pistons as they need to be turned as they are pushed back into the housings. the minimum thickness for the disc's are 21mm front and 10mm rear. try somewhere like http://www.eurocarparts.com/ or http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ for the disc's and pads are they are usually cheaper than the ford dealers !