Gas mileage explained please ?

I just read that the new 2009 Toyota Corolla will get 34 mpg. However I just read A ford Advertisement that says the Focus gets 50 mpg. How can that be ? As well, another advertisement that says 36 mpg for the Ford Taurus 2008 model. Obviously the numbers don't mean the same thing per manufacturer. Can someone explain this to me. Thank you.

Reply to
car crash

Where did you read that a Taurus would deliver 36 MPG?

Everyone is required by law to use the same government standards and tests for mileage, so there's very little room to hedge in advertising.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

I think you are mistaken. The Focus gets 35 mpg. You probably misread the number.

Actually, it is 28 mpg.

The gov't does it for you:

Jeff

Starting with this model year ('08) the method for calculating mileage was changed. As a result, most vehicles lost mileage even though nothing changed. However the numbers do mean precisely the same thing per manufacturer as per the official government approved test method

You could be looking at raw data from two model years that don't agree or you may be quoting claims by an individual on a newsgroup which is otherwise unverifiable. Different mileage from different models is not confusing, 50 seems high even without checking

In general most drivers experience significantly lower actual mileage in practice than what the sticker said. Few of us drive the exact pattern of hills and dales at the exact speed as in the mileage test method.

Here is the government official answer:

and the results for all cars and light trucks here
Note they are updating this weekly due to wildly rising fuel prices.

Reply to
pipedown

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... Obviously the numbers don't mean |the same thing per manufacturer. Can someone explain this to me. |Thank you. | |

Check out this web site: