gas smell

Does anyone know why I could be getting a strong smell of gasoline when I drive for over 30 minutes (especially if I am using my air conditioning)? I
have a 1995 Taurus, automatic, six cylinder. Wolverine
**wolverine**

Once it happened, I would stop the car and check under the hood to see if I could locate it. Could be any number of things...look for leaks first.
Do you use MAX Cool position in your air settings?
Thank you for replying. No, I don't use the Max cool setting. I have had the car for years and I haven't ever noticed a leak of any kind. Could it have something to do with the timing or idle set too high?

probably not... if you are smelling raw gas, you have a leak. You should find it ASAP to avoid a fire.

This sounds scary. I check it. Thanks for your help.

You might check your fuel filter (if same as 1994, it's under the car, right side, ahead of rear wheel well.
Dave G.
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:53:53 GMT, "**wolverine**"

When I check it, what would I see that would tell me that that is the problem?
"Dave G" <dgayman(at)rcn(dot)com> wrote in message wrote:

In my case, gasoline was dripping from it, so it wasn't hard to spot... The filter was very rusty, and replacing it did the trick.
Again, if it's the same as my 1994, you can see it easily -- it looks like a fat tin can tucked behind the "frame" rail (really the rocker panel.
Dave G.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:10:17 GMT, "**wolverine**"

Like gas on the out side of the filter. If it aint leaking it will be dry.