Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Page 1 of 7
Have you taken notice that some cars have the gas fill opening on the driver's side and others have it located on the passenger's side? Either way, there is only one way you can drive up to the pumps. The pump's
transfer hose must be on the side of the gas fill opening. This is inconvenient at a busy gas station where your available spot may not fit your car's configuration. Today's gas pumps have short hoses that cannot reach around to the opposite side of your car.
A long time ago, some cars were fitted with a central, rear-bumper location for universal gas fill, under the license plate. That location is considered unsafe today.
My suggestion is that all cars be fitted with TWO gas fill access, one on the left rear quarter panel and the other on the right. Then, you could drive up to a gas pump from either direction and pump gas.
Sure, it will cost a few dollars to add this feature, but so what? The dozens of added features to cars already cost and nobody's complaining. At least, this suggestion makes good sense, more sense than many costly features that do little or nothing for comfort or safety: radio controls on the steering wheel, for example. Cars now cost 10 times what they used to within the lifetime of people still in the workforce, so I say, so what if a two-way gas filler costs an extra $5 or $10 to the auto maker and translated into $10 or $20 more retail?
Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it
One reason I know of for position of gas filler location is the exhaust pipe. Seams not many people want to pump their gas over top of a hot exhaust pipe when it is overfilled or leaks it could cause an explosion or fire.Guess they could move all exhaust to middle of the car. ; )

Have you ever tried that? Not gonna happen, even with the car still running, which is against the law...

I drive a P71 Crown Vic which has dual exhausts. So I guess I shouldn't have a fill spot on either side, huh?

I have duals also so they put the filler through a hole in the rear seat console.
Yet another reason NOT to own a Ford

And what "reason" might that be?
Please avoid top posting. http://learn.to/quote

That's odd, my Tradesman actually has the exhaust almost directly below the filler neck. Worse yet, backpressure when filling the tank is pretty damn low making it exceptionally difficult to tell when it's actually full.
I'd rather have one fill location and save my money. I go to the fuel station at OFF PEAK hours, I never worry about such shit...

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

this guy is an idiot... cars have reverse... back in to a spot...

And yet people KEEP RESPONDING to the damned troll. If they'd just *stop*, he'd get bored and go away.

That is not only unsafe in many jurisdictions it is also against the law...
and that is why you waste so much gas driving around in foward looking for a pump to fill up with.

Please try and follow along, as I have already posted in this thread, I don't go to the fuel station during "peak hours", there is never a line when I shop, and almost always plenty of open pump...
My Name Is Nobody wrote:

Jesus.. there can't be a law against everything
you're telling me some states it is illegal to BACK in to a pump? pfft... i hardly believe that
[...]
I can and do fill my Safari van by draping the hose over the top of the van at the local Sams store. The same for my Toyota Tacoma. They only allow one way traffic through the pumps to avoid head bumping and fist fights ;-} Thanks to people such as you I hardly ever have to wait for a free pump.
--
Anyolmouse

You know pulling the hose out across the vehicle is dangerous and prohibited by law, right?
Paul Johnson wrote:

Really? Can you please show us the laws that make it illegal?
Paul Johnson wrote:

I hope you're joking.
I had to shake my head back in the late 80's, I was in Los Angeles on business, and when re-fueling the rental car, I noticed they had signs on the gas pump (by law I'm sure) that it was illegal to pump any more fuel once the hose cut itself off the first time. Land of fruit and nuts.
Bill Putney wrote:

Actually, this prevents hydrocarbons from getting into the air.
Doing simple things can help the environment and my lungs.
http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff / <http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/90829d899627a1d98525735900400c2b/95efa29176fe1e1a852570d60070fa5c !OpenDocument>
http://www.awm.delaware.gov/awm/newsStory.asp?offset 0&PRID24
IMHO, the California law is a good one.
Jeff