Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Page 3 of 7
My Name Is Nobody wrote:

i am not talking about new yookers driving to jersey to fill up and then go home. i am talking about the azzholes that "move to the country" and then drive 2hours one way to go work in the city..

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

How did it start?
In the old days, most gas stations were garages, not convenience stores.

When was the vote? I missed it.
If the good people of New Jersey want to mandate that someone else pumps their gas and they choose to pay 6 cents a gallon do to it, that is their prerogative. It's called democracy.
People who live in New Jersey and don't like it may get a diesel car (fuel stations are not required to have someone pump the diesel) or may go to a neighboring state and fill up there. Or they may pump their own gas.
Jeff

Two problems with your post.
How do you arrive at 6 ? In Mass, towns make their own laws regarding self service. Gas at the self service costs the same as the full service in the towns across the street. If they can both sell at the same price, NJ stations should be able to do the same.
Going to a neighboring state the gas will cost more even if you pump it yourself. NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the east.
When I pass through NJ, I make it a point to stop for gas for two reasons. It is cheaper than any other place on my trip, and I don't have to pump it myself. Seems to be win-win for me. Do as you please (laws permitting) FWIW, here in CT, self serve regular is 3.19 in most places where I live, 2.96 in MA where I work and I can have it pumped at that price. What is the price in NJ?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That was in an article cited by me earlier in this thread.

And some of the lowest taxes.

AFIK, there is not law prohibiting people from pumping their own gas in NJ. I don't mind pumping it myself, and it is faster than waiting for the attendant to get around to my car (he's not lazy, just that usually there are a few cars getting filled up, and he has others to attend to, as well).

$2.92 down the street.
Jeff

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

There was never a self-service/mini-service station AFAICT. Full service is more than just getting your gas pumped, if they're not also washing your windows, checking your tires, lights and fluid levels, you're not getting what you're paying for at a full service island. Just getting your gas pumped is minimum-service, and the default in New Jersey and Oregon. Minimum service islands are considerably cheaper than self-service.

There were more, more recently than that, clear through the 1990s.
Paul Johnson wrote:

How do you know? In Oregon and New Jersey, there are no self-service gas stations. I doubt there are enough self-service diesel stations in New Jersey to make a judgment.
Why do you think self-service is more expensive in the same market?

i have lived in jersey for 50 years, and have driven diesel vehicles for 40 years. and i have never seen a diesel self serve in jersey. mainly cause jersey does not have self serve. there are big signs on all fuel pumps in jersey, gas and diesel, that say do not pump your own fuel. wait for an attendant. it is against the law in the state of new jersey to pump your own fuel.
and don't even start with the top post crap. i have already read everything in these posts. i don't need to read it again to see what i posted.

I am suprised to find out that there is something a Yankey can't do ! (pump their own gas)

tom, how about learning where your Shift key is, fer crying out loud...

Tom wrote:

They're probably at truck stops. There are some. It was on car talk, when someone pulled into a self-serve station. They believe truckers, who have to maintain their own trucks, know more about filling up tanks than people who don't drive for a living.

Please show me a link where it says it is illegal for me to pump my own gas.

The reason for not top posting is to make it easier for other people to follow the thread. It's not about you, but respect for others.
Jeff

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId 0510 Eight hours of training is required of gas station attendants, Dressler said. Among their responsibilities are knowing which type of containers cannot store gasoline, such as glass. "It's a dangerous product and they are trained in the correct procedures," he said. Eight hours of training is required of gas station attendants, Dressler said. Among their responsibilities are knowing which type of containers cannot store gasoline, such as glass. "It's a dangerous product and they are trained in the correct procedures," he said.
http://ask.yahoo.com/20040715.html The ban on self-service gas stations is a highly combustible issue and makes for some heated debates. New Jersey passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid.
http://www.selfserviceworld.com/article_4603_210_.php
How about Long Island
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/11LItopic.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/R/Rather,%20John
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/11LItopic.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/R/Rather,%20John The actual law is that it is illegal for the owner or operator of a gas station to let someone who is not a trained gas station attendant to operate a gas pump. If they don't stop me, that's their problem and their fine.
Jeff

If New Jersey handles diesel self service like they do in Oregon, then a Public Utilities Commission number and commercial driver's license is required for self service. I never understood why self-service is so popular for truckers, though, although some of the Oregon and Washington based owner-operators are starting to get wise to the fact that if they don't jump through all the hoops to pump for themselves, they get 20 or 30 minutes free to go grab a meal or a shower while someone else refuels their truck at no extra charge.
ok, i will put this in plain English. you can not pump your own gas or diesel in New Jersey. not in a one pump station. not in a 50 pump truck stop on route 78. no where in the state of New Jersey can you pump your own fuel. there are big signs on all fuel pumps in the state of New Jersey that read do not pump your own fuel. wait for an attendant. it is against the law in the state of New Jersey to pump your own fuel.

Tom wrote:

What about say police officers... or stand alone tank systems say at mills, or construction sites??
99% of the police officers do not fill up their cars, cause they don't want to get their hands dirty. besides, that's what the police garage mechanics are for. maintaining the car .fuel ,oil, flat tires and the like. mills and construction sites are not covered by the law. but the same applies there most of the time too. if it is a union mill or construction site, and most of them are here, fueling is an oilers job, not the operators, and they will sit till the oiler comes to fill it up.

that is so rite. you are so much smarter tham us dumb hicks here in joisey . you are out there in the cold rain getting soaking wet pumping your own gas so the dimwit pump jockey don't scratch your car or spill any of that $4 /gallon gas, while we sit in our nice warm dry cars and let the fuel attendant fill our cars up.