Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Since when? I've owned a...

1928 Ford Model A 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 1981 Buick Skylark 1995 Kia Sportage 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe

...and none of them have had any indication which side the filler is on, unless you count the Korean manufacturers (Kia, Hyundai) tendency to put the fuel door handle on the same side of the driver's seat as the fuel door (the Kia had the door and the fuel handle on the right, the Hyundai on the left).

Reply to
Paul Johnson

My '07 Sonata has an arrow right by the fuel level indicator.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Really? Can you please show us the laws that make it illegal?

Reply to
Jeff

so does my Ford Contour and most of the cars I have rented over the last several years, including ones made in the US and imported.

Reply to
Jeff

Where do you live? Around here stations aren't one way.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

About a month ago I pulled into a station that evidently was. It was 9:50 at night, not a car in sight and the attendant came out and told me I had to turn around. So, I turned around and drove out to the station across the street. He closed up as I pumped my gas at the other station.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I hope you're joking.

I had to shake my head back in the late 80's, I was in Los Angeles on business, and when re-fueling the rental car, I noticed they had signs on the gas pump (by law I'm sure) that it was illegal to pump any more fuel once the hose cut itself off the first time. Land of fruit and nuts.

Bill Putney

My 1989 Probe, 2000 Eclipse, and 2002 Escape all have indicators on the gauge pointing to the fill side.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Actually, this prevents hydrocarbons from getting into the air.

Doing simple things can help the environment and my lungs.

IMHO, the California law is a good one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not where I live it isn't. Given enough time it probaly will be though.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Why do you say that? Is there anything dangerous or harmful to the environment about bring the hose over the vehicle? What about a motorcycle? You can't fill one without bring the hose over the vehicle.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bullshit. Stupid people of that caliber and flammable materials is usually a self-correcting problem, sometimes referred to as the Darwin Awards. "Here, hold my beer and Watch This!"

If this were the case, you would see gas stations across America exploding daily, where in reality a "Well Done" station is rare.

I'm in Los Angeles with a very concentrated population, and the last gas station that went up big-time was from Station Owner gross stupidity and disabled safety shut-offs at the Propane filling station around back. And that was twenty years ago.

The station employee didn't check for lit pilot lights on the Motorhome before fueling the propane tank, and when the fire started he couldn't shut off the fuel flow because the fusible link on the tank safety valve had broken and was held open with baling wire - which also disabled the hand shutoff. Word for the day: "RUN!!"

When the dispenser hose burned through they had a 1" stream of pressurized burning liquid propane shooting under the burning Motorhome aimed at the station building, which promptly went up. A fun time for all.

Bullshit. The auto shutoff nozzle can malfunction for a station employee just as easily as a self-serve customer. And the station owner can deny and delay and leave that malfunctioning nozzle in service just as easily with a full-serve employee running the pump - he has to pay a service company a few hundred bucks to come out and change it.

The only thing an employee can do differently is refuse to top off the tank. And if the purchaser is stupid enough to pour $3 a gallon gas on the ground on purpose...

With an effective scare campaign, the oil companies can easily get the average Sheeple voter to go along with that kind of ban. Follow the money and see who paid for all the campaign materials and ad placement, and I'll bet the trail was disguised and leads back to someone who directly benefits from the policy continuing.

Bullshit. They have to pay Workmen's Comp for any employees, and if the job was really that hazardous those rates would be astronomical - and they are not, it's most likely the same rate as any retail clerk. Would be a wash compared to general liability.

The difference can easily be explained. What are the fuel taxes and sales taxes in the two states? Washington could have lower fuel costs, but if they tack on more taxes and fees along the way to the pump...

You keep putting up straw men, I'll keep knocking them down. A self serve station has one employee manning the till, and running the Convenience Store or fixing cars in the bays in between customers. Full Serve has to have two, three, four employees at peak times primarily dedicated to working the pumps. Somebody's paying for the added labor somewhere, work doesn't happen for free.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

| > Not where I live it isn't. Given enough time it probaly will be though. | | Why do you say that? Is there anything dangerous or harmful to the | environment about bring the hose over the vehicle? What about a | motorcycle? You can't fill one without bring the hose over the vehicle. | | Jeff

Who are you responding to Jeff? It appears you meant to respond to somebody else in the thread but it was posted under my last comment about it not being illegal to drape the hose over your vehicle here in Texas.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

You.

yeah, but say it probably will be.

You made a comment, and I asked why say that as well as some specific questions about your comment.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

While your argument seems very logical. in Massachusetts, it proves logic does not work. In MA, each town decides if they can have self serve gas. Where I work, there are a number of stations in a four town area that represents both situations. Fact is, the full service sells for the same price as the self service. For comparison sake, you can compare brand name for brand name and private label versus private label. On the town line the stations are across the street from each other. I have no particular desire to pump my own when, for the same price, I can have someone do it for me while I sit in the heated comfort for my automobile.

You are correct that it does not happen for free, but in the 20+ years the stations existed so far, they must be making a buck or they'd not last.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There was never a self-service/mini-service station AFAICT. Full service is more than just getting your gas pumped, if they're not also washing your windows, checking your tires, lights and fluid levels, you're not getting what you're paying for at a full service island. Just getting your gas pumped is minimum-service, and the default in New Jersey and Oregon. Minimum service islands are considerably cheaper than self-service.

There were more, more recently than that, clear through the 1990s.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Must be a new feature this year.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Oregon, though it's pretty common in Washington as well.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

There's nothing wrong with bringing the hose to the vehicle, but wrapping it across is. Just asking for a spill or the emergency disconnect to split.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Full service or minimum service? If it's really full service, that's a pretty good deal. If it's not full service, either you're getting the terminology wrong, or they're guilty of false advertising...

Reply to
Paul Johnson