Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Page 4 of 7

There is no training.

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

I was just going by this post: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford/browse_frm/thread/76481cc0d65f108a/214f7d2512f888d6?lnk=st&q=#214f7d2512f888d6
Is it wrong?

$7/hr is below minimum wage in the civilized world...
Tim wrote:

The attendant was wrong. Do you really think most attendant are union workers? I don't. At the wages they get, I doubt they are able to afford union dues.
<http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId 0510>
There is self-service gas in New Jersey because the people of the state want it that way.
Jeff

that is why i put that piece of sarcasm post into this thread.

Tom wrote:

Gee, I hope you don't go into comedy for living. You'll be making less than the attendants, after paying their union dues.
Jeff

Please don't top post. http://learn.to/quote

I'd be curious if you can substantiate that. In Oregon, there's actually three bans against self service.
1. Oregon State Fire Marshall prohibits the practice as stupid people and flammable material usually lead to fire. 2. Oregon Department of Environmental Quality prohibits the practice as spilled gasoline presents a serious threat to groundwater and air quality. 3. Attempting to override the Fire Marshall and DEQ forced a series of referrendums which the people rejected by unbelievable margins five times over and ultimately caused the ban to be codified in the ORS. Conventional wisdom suggests that self service stations usually have higher prices due to insurance costs that come with making the customer do the gas station's job for them, as evidenced by Portland, Oregon (which has predominantly minimum-service stations with a few full-service stations) having cheaper gas prices than Vancouver, Washington (which is almost exclusively self-service with only a couple full-service stations and no minimum-service stations) by around 10 cents a gallon fairly consistantly over time.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:53:58 -0800 (PST), Paul Johnson

Bullshit. Stupid people of that caliber and flammable materials is usually a self-correcting problem, sometimes referred to as the Darwin Awards. "Here, hold my beer and Watch This!"
If this were the case, you would see gas stations across America exploding daily, where in reality a "Well Done" station is rare.
I'm in Los Angeles with a very concentrated population, and the last gas station that went up big-time was from Station Owner gross stupidity and disabled safety shut-offs at the Propane filling station around back. And that was twenty years ago.
The station employee didn't check for lit pilot lights on the Motorhome before fueling the propane tank, and when the fire started he couldn't shut off the fuel flow because the fusible link on the tank safety valve had broken and was held open with baling wire - which also disabled the hand shutoff. Word for the day: "RUN!!"
When the dispenser hose burned through they had a 1" stream of pressurized burning liquid propane shooting under the burning Motorhome aimed at the station building, which promptly went up. A fun time for all.

Bullshit. The auto shutoff nozzle can malfunction for a station employee just as easily as a self-serve customer. And the station owner can deny and delay and leave that malfunctioning nozzle in service just as easily with a full-serve employee running the pump - he has to pay a service company a few hundred bucks to come out and change it.
The only thing an employee can do differently is refuse to top off the tank. And if the purchaser is stupid enough to pour $3 a gallon gas on the ground on purpose...

With an effective scare campaign, the oil companies can easily get the average Sheeple voter to go along with that kind of ban. Follow the money and see who paid for all the campaign materials and ad placement, and I'll bet the trail was disguised and leads back to someone who directly benefits from the policy continuing.

Bullshit. They have to pay Workmen's Comp for any employees, and if the job was really that hazardous those rates would be astronomical - and they are not, it's most likely the same rate as any retail clerk. Would be a wash compared to general liability.

The difference can easily be explained. What are the fuel taxes and sales taxes in the two states? Washington could have lower fuel costs, but if they tack on more taxes and fees along the way to the pump...
You keep putting up straw men, I'll keep knocking them down. A self serve station has one employee manning the till, and running the Convenience Store or fixing cars in the bays in between customers. Full Serve has to have two, three, four employees at peak times primarily dedicated to working the pumps. Somebody's paying for the added labor somewhere, work doesn't happen for free.
--<< Bruce >>--

While your argument seems very logical. in Massachusetts, it proves logic does not work. In MA, each town decides if they can have self serve gas. Where I work, there are a number of stations in a four town area that represents both situations. Fact is, the full service sells for the same price as the self service. For comparison sake, you can compare brand name for brand name and private label versus private label. On the town line the stations are across the street from each other. I have no particular desire to pump my own when, for the same price, I can have someone do it for me while I sit in the heated comfort for my automobile.
You are correct that it does not happen for free, but in the 20+ years the stations existed so far, they must be making a buck or they'd not last.

Full service or minimum service? If it's really full service, that's a pretty good deal. If it's not full service, either you're getting the terminology wrong, or they're guilty of false advertising...
Paul Johnson wrote:

Or the full service station is able to sell more oil and other services to its costumers, making up for the cost of having more attendants.
Jeff

True, but usually the other fluids are complimentary at full service islands, which is why you're paying more per gallon of gas...

Please name a gas station that offers complimentary fluids other than air and water.
I've never seen anything other than air and water complimentary at any full serve gas station anywhere in the US, not anytime since the sixties anyway, maybe before that, but I wasn't a customer then...

Varies from station to station and the mood of the attendant. Some offer to check the oil, others don't. Not much different than it was 40 years ago.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In California, I haven't seen an attendant since the early 60's.

Oh, they're still inside running the C-store, or around back wrenching on cars - if you are willing to pay a $.30 to $.50 premium per gallon for the convenience, they'll be more than happy to drop what they are doing to come out and pump your gas.
And if you are a regular customer (and known good tipper) you might even get the tires checked or under the hood. But that's pushing the boundaries nowadays.
We do have the law that they have to offer minimum service to the handicapped at Self-Serve prices - CA Business & Professions Code 13360. But you might have to wave your HC Parking Permit to remind the attendant, he isn't going to volunteer to come out unless you're a regular whose car is recognized.
There is an exemption in B&PC 13360 if it's a one-man station, he doesn't have to - in a bad neighborhood and/or at night, this is a valid excuse for not leaving that nice safe bulletproof glass bunker with a pass-drawer for the money. In a nice area on a nice day, it's just an excuse for laziness.
And the Handicapped folks I know who can often will get out and pump their own gas for a sense of normalcy. Or out of just plain mule headed stubbornness, take your pick. ;-) And it's a good excuse to get up and stretch, all drivers need to take time out to do that.
Many self-serve dispensers have a "not so hidden" button with a Handicapped symbol on the front panel just for these folks, that button disables the safety no-flow timeout delay after the pump is activated. It might take them a little while to get the nozzle around to the filler and start the flow, or to get the nozzle from the first tank to the second tank on a pickup or motorhome.
--<< Bruce >>--
wrote in message

I personally wouldn't want service beyond just pumping the gas and washing the windshield as I think an oil level and tire pressure check is just inviting them to scam you. The reason being that the oil has to have time to drain back down before a reading can be taken or it will seem to be low and if filled back up will be overfilled and with some vehicles overfilled oil can really cause an MPG loss as well as other issues. Also it invites them to sell you a quart of oil. On the tire side the attendant doesn't know if you have driven 5 blocks or 5 miles and if the tires are at operating temp the pressure will read higher and lowering it back down will cause them to be underinflated which once again will cause MPG loss and excessive tire wear.
message

The "low oil" scam was common on the highways. Many years ago, it was far less harmful because cars used more oil and chances are if it was overfilled a bit the level would be back to normal in 500 miles. Two hundred on my '53 Mercury. The last four cars I've owned have not needed any added oil in all the years I've owned them and I change at 7500 miles on my primary, 5000 miles on my secondary and they've gone over 150,000 miles on a couple of them.
The other side though, was my daughter that managed to get 3 quarts low. That was costly.
wrote in

I hear you about the low oil thing. Spun bearings have a really bad tendency to ruin your whole day don't they? lol. BTW I live in Iowa so I am nowhere near New Jersey or Oregon.
On Nov 17, 5:06 pm, Bruce L. Bergman

That's one thing we don't miss about retail self-service: Getting stuck in line behind Jonny Cripple who takes five times longer than mini-serve to pump and spill gasoline on the tarmac...