Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Page 6 of 7

You are kidding right.
Think about the Ford / Mercury Focus. Look at the Reverse / Rear fog lamps. Now tell me what you notice.
Thats right one reverse (back up) light and one rear fog light!
Now a car the size of a Focus should IMHO have one of each at either side, it would cost ford a couple of dollars per car to install one of each at either side, will they do it? Yeah right....

Since when? I've owned a... 1928 Ford Model A 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 1981 Buick Skylark 1995 Kia Sportage 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe
...and none of them have had any indication which side the filler is on, unless you count the Korean manufacturers (Kia, Hyundai) tendency to put the fuel door handle on the same side of the driver's seat as the fuel door (the Kia had the door and the fuel handle on the right, the Hyundai on the left).

My '07 Sonata has an arrow right by the fuel level indicator.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

so does my Ford Contour and most of the cars I have rented over the last several years, including ones made in the US and imported.

Must be a new feature this year.

Well not necessarily "this year" but in the last few years at most of the car makers I've seen.
It takes a while for everyone to get on board, even with a good, simple and virtually free to implement idea - all it takes is a rework of the printing mask for the instrument cluster to add that arrow.
--<< Bruce >>--

My 1989 Probe, 2000 Eclipse, and 2002 Escape all have indicators on the gauge pointing to the fill side.
SC Tom
i guess our worlds full of huge problems like this that just cant seem to get solved..

Worse yet, most gas stations are one way, which means if your tank faces the left side, you get to wait and wait. I got around the problem and started using cardlock stations, never a crowd, never a line, even for left-hand pumps.

Actually, power starters without any handcrank for backup, power windows without any manual override crank, automatic transmissions and ECMs are the bane of my existence. We would have all been better off if they left the handcrank in just in case (no more jumpstarts!), given us some way to open a window if the power windows crap out for some reason, and never subverted the "check engine" light to really mean "Master Fault".

I'm not sure easier access to refuel is what we need so much as fewer reasons to refuel in the first place.

Where do you live? Around here stations aren't one way.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

About a month ago I pulled into a station that evidently was. It was 9:50 at night, not a car in sight and the attendant came out and told me I had to turn around. So, I turned around and drove out to the station across the street. He closed up as I pumped my gas at the other station.

Oregon, though it's pretty common in Washington as well.

Then realize this Paul - almost everything you've posted that reflects life in Oregon, is pretty unique to Oregon. Leave town and head out to the world around you and you'll quickly see why so many people are telling you that things aren't the way you think, once you get beyond the boundaries of your world.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

It can be confusing when my LH fills on the right and my wife's Sebring on the left. Two fill pipes would be even more confusing, we wouldn't know which way to go to get back into the drivers seat.
Anyhow the fill hoses do reach around or over our cars.
You must drive a BIG TRUCK.

I drive a full-size van. Left pumps only, no options...
Twin fill necks a good idea, but not practical. The only car that does this is Jaguar, and they can only because the tank is behind the rear seat - and it increases the manufacturing cost of the car by roughly $40 between parts and labor.
On a luxury car people will pay for those fancy details, but you can't give away $40 of decreased profits (or increased retail price) on a mass-produced 'commodity transportation' automobile. The competition has you at a price advantage and they'll eat your lunch.
You can NOT have dual fillers on a car unless it's designed in - Dual fillers on one tank are OK, but you legally can not have dual tanks and a cross-over pipe between them for gasoline fueled vehicles in the USA. They had a few notable incidents with road debris snagging and breaking the crossover line, and a resultant BIG fire.
Dual tanks with separate fillers on each side (and no cross-over) are perfectly legal - but a pain in the ass to live with. I know, that's how my I.H. Scout was built, and the gas stations got very nervous when I slid the hose UNDER the car to hit the other tank. (Didn't want to open both doors and go through the interior.)
If you can't stretch the hose over/across/under the car to the other side, you have to fill one tank, drive around so the other side faces the pump, and fill the other tank. It's only practical when you have both filler necks in the same quadrant of the car.
--<< Bruce >>--
Would a vehicle with two fill necks take twice as much fuel

there is a very simple solution to the fuel fill location problem of people being too stupid to know where it is on their cars.
look at the little gas pump on the fuel gauge. if the hose and nozzle is pointing to the right, the fuel fill is on the passenger side of the car. if the hose and nozzle is on the left side of the pump, the fuel fill is on the driver side of the car.
this way, you will not have to worry about getting whiplash snapping your head back and forth looking at the side of the car in your mirrors trying to see the door.

I had such a problem driving company vehicles & I could never remember what side that filler cap was on.
all you have to do is look at the fuel gauge. since the 80's, either the nozzle on the pump will point to the side the fill is on, or there will be an arrow on the gauge pointing to the side the fill is on.

Tom wrote:

And if one didn't know that they were......