Gas Tank Fill Location All Wrong

Page 7 of 7

And deserved to be in a perpetual state of confusion.
My Name Is Nobody wrote:

LOL, here come da judges, here come da judges.

or have blond hair.
, you would think that a manufacturer would have a reason for what they do, i.e. the engineer/designers at XYZ company think the filler belongs on one side or the other........but the filler is on the driver's side on my '06 Mustang, and on the passenger side on my '06 Five Hundred....so there's apparently no rhyme or reason at all.
which makes you wonder why the "improvements" trumpted for a model as so wonderful, disappear in a year or two. example: my '85 Mustang had amber rear turn signal lenses promoted as much more visible and safer than red lenses. they were,....so why were they discontinued?.
yup, Jags had fillers on both sides for many years. Some, like Triumph as well as FoMoCo, put them in the middle. Then there was Sunbeam: one filler, but a small tank in each rear fender connected with piping: my owner manual said this was in the interests of better handling because the weight was always equalized (yeah, I'll bet that made a big difference)........they didn't say what would happen if a fender got hit hard but probably no worse than most tanks of the day.
One more weird one: early Corvettes had their tanks hung in the usual place. When Stude came out with the Avanti (as a '63 and carried on in Avantis for many years) they claimed that for crash safety with a fiberglass body, the tank was verticle behind the back seatm roughly over the axle (i.e. as far away from the back of the car as possible). Nice idea....but....they put it inside the body shell, instead of under the floor....so....if the tank or plumbing developed a leak, the gas ran into the rear foot wells! Many torched cars as a result!!!!

A far cry from those Pintos that had tanks waiting to get slammed.