gear stick is stuck

I have an automatic transmission. The engine will start but I cann't move the gear shift. It is stuck in Park. What sort of problem am I looking at? Can I fix it at home or do I have to take it
to an expensive repair shop>??? Thank you. Beverly
Maybe you are parked against a curb or on an incline. Try to nudge the car forward or back as you pull the shift lever out of park. Be careful no to run yourself over.
Check your brake lights, if bulbs are out the release switch is not getting ground

Really!
Thanks for the fish.. but if the Brake light switch is inop or has a wire broken the relesae solenoid is not getting 12 volts.
Has nothing to do with the bulbs