Getting Check Engine Code without scanner

Hi group, I hope somebody can help me. I find few months ago how to get the check engine without a scanner. I remember it's a TURN ON TURN OFF tric but
I don't remember exactly. I hope somebody can help me. I also remember that the code (PXXXX) is shown on the digital mileage counter.
Thanks JohnWolf
Well, you can turn the key on-off-on-off-on-off-on...... but that only works on old dodges... or yoiu can go to the DLC and short two pins together (can't remember which ones off-hand) or you can tell us what you are working on.....
And no... the codes will not show on the odometer....
Afterthought... if you are talking about the "world famous odometer trick", turn the key on while pushing the reset/trip button.... that woint display PCM codes either.....

Hi Jim, Thx for the answer. So, I have another one question. Do you have a website or something else explain the "short pin" thing? I will appreciate a lot. It's for my father Ford Windstar 2002.
Thanks JohnWolf

For a 2002 Ford you need an OBDii scanner. There is no turn on turn off or short the pin trick for a vehicle that new. In my area Autozone will read the codes for you for free.
Ed