GM: Air condition the trunk!

Page 1 of 2
People transport heat-sensitive items in the trunk. Cameras & film, CDs, groceries and whatever get cooked in the closed trunk.
Refrigerating the trunk when needed is not difficult. All that is needed is
extra styrofoam insulation in the trunk compartment and lid, a duct from the evaporator and a servo flap valve linked to the dashboard air-con control panel.
Airconditioning has been around since before WWII, yet no maker has thought about cooling the trunk. In fact, the same duct can send cool air to the back seat passengers, a feature we haven't seen in Cadillacs for a long time.
Do it, GM and you will have a selling point Toyota & Camry doesn't.
Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:30:50 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell

$1000 option? For shopping, I just put the bags with the ice cream and meat on the front seat, in the shade, and aim a vent at it. Works so far. Long check-out time is what melts ice cream. "Features" don't sell as many cars as quality, and standing behind the quality.
--Vic

Yes. Usually my plan too. But then I have to listen to the seatbelt chime half the way home...
And no, I'm not going to disconnect it... I find it preferable to let the car nag reluctant passengers than to do it myself.

I'm the same way when it comes to the seatbelt chime. My Dad always asks "how do I shut that damned thing off"? And I say "try putting your seatbelt on". Works every time.

You are both more generous than I am. I tell my passengers that my car won't start until I hear that click. Wanna argue? Get out and walk.

I'm usually the same, but I was always taught not to kick Dad out of the car ;)
80 Knight wrote:

I've got a Styrofoam box with lid some frozen steaks where shipped in, it stays in the trunk and is large enough for most of the things that need to be kept cold on hot days. Now you guys got me hungry for ice cream, damit.
80 Knight wrote:

Actually, read the owners manual, you can disable it easily

Buckle the belt around the bags. Makes the chime go away and helps hold your groceries in place when some idiot pulls out in front of you.
Vic Smith wrote:

Just pick up a Coleman electric cooler. Toss it in the trunk and connect it to 12 V power. They use a peltier junction device. Connected in normal mode it cools, reverse the polarity and you can use it to keep food hot!
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

Then you'll have to talk to Chev and get them to put a 12v plugin in the trunk.. .lik ethey should anyway
and every car should have 3 in the front, two in the back and at least one in the trunk
Vic Smith wrote:

Why not bring a small cooler if it takes you that long to get home

VW had a cool box in the dash, I believe...Same technology. Could possibly be useful
Actually the trunks of most cars ARE cooled by the AC, via vents in the trunk. Put a thermometer in your trunk and see for yourself if your cars trunk is one that is cooled, WBMA

He is probably the remaining GM engineer.

Not sure what you point is unless it's that GM, at least at one time, ran the inside conditioned air thru the door jam vent which then exited thru the trunk, thereby cooling the trunk with the exiting AC air.

I think the new Dodge Nitro (perhaps another model), has a cooler built into the dash, where the glove box would be on most cars. Neat idea, but like someone else said, the trunk is usually cool as it is, and if you are going to the beach, or a long road trip, you're better off taking a cooler anyways.
80 Knight wrote:

If you're grocery shopping and have a long drive home, just fold the back seat down.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yup nothing like losing valuable storage space so you can keep a can of soda pop cool. I mean why invest in a $10-$20 insulated cooler when the car companies will sell you one for $1000.
Tell me why Chrysler is bankrupt yet again?
HLS wrote:

Cool box... hrm.. how many cans will it hold ;)
I think Jeep has one too