GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

Page 6 of 8

Actually my 2007 Mustang GT convertible had a NA parts label of 80% which has nothing to do with the VIN designation. The first numbed of the VIN is a '1,' indicating built in the US with an American total content of over 70% as I explained to you on several occasions, include much more than parts. Like the Toyota based Pontiac Vibe
Honda does indeed build cars like the Accord in the US with over 70% American content and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Nissan also builds vehicle in the US like the Titan and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Toyota, with the exception of the Toyotas built in the GM/Toyota plant in California and the first number of the VIN is a '1,' only assembles cars, trucks and vans in the US and the first number of the VIN is a '4,' or '5' according to the American content. Contrary to what you believe, if you listen and watch what Toyota says in their newest ads, because of Hondas complaint, you will see they no longer say 'made in American' but rather 'assembled in American of world sourced parts.'
mike

Jeff wrote:

That part at least is partly true; the first character of the VIN is indeed "country of origin." e.g. a Volkswagen with a VIN starting "WVW" is a real, German-built VW, whereas a "1VW" is one built in Westmoreland, and "9VW" is one built in Brazil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number
nate

GM does. Projections are that Toyota will outsell Ford in the US next year (and GM worldwide).
It was not to long ago those 'in the know' were predicting Ford would 'soon outsell GM in the US,' as well ;)
(I deleted your address line. No to smart of to put all of that information out in a NG.)
mike

This post brought to you by Mike's new book" Condescension: how to make friends and influence people by coming off like a know-it-all."
I think Joe knows what he's doing. Nothing available there that's not available elsewhere, and besides he's been posting here for *years*.
You may know it all, I don't. My intent is to offer advice based on my life experiences, one if free to take that advice or not. The person addressed is not the only one reading that advice, those a bit wiser than some, may take note I don't see you posting all of your information in a NG. Replying to my internet address sends it directly to a 'dump' site ;)
mike

I seem to remember those as maybe pie-in-the-sky projections for years down the line. I'm talking about projections for *next* *year*.

Any specific reason not to, or just sort of a general paranoia?
When you begin to get dozens of calls at 5 PM from telemarketers and all of the paper in your FAX machine is printed out with spam at 2 AM you may feel differently, unless of course it is not YOUR paper ;)
mike
writes:

So... so it's sort of a lack of understanding of the differences between email spam and telemarketing. Nothing to worry about.

What differences?
I guess he never had his FAX spammed. ;)
mike

The economics are completely different. Sending email spam, especially using botnets, is essentially free. Last I saw, estimates were that the response rate on email spam was down around one in 100,000 -- but the cost of sending the message is so low they're still making a profit. At those rates, harvesting my email address from usenet is worth it to them; unfortunately, my email address was in so many different places long before there was spam that ceasing to use it on usenet wouldn't make any difference at this point. I don't use my personal email address on usenet!
A telemarketing call or fax spam costs infinitely more -- up in the pennies range. For random telemarketers to call my office to make pitches on the basis of harvesting the phone number from usenet would be insane; likewise to send spam to the department's fax machine on that basis.
Perhaps, but in the real world they still do so automatically at 3 AM . ;)
mike

For pete's sake, why are you still cross-posting about this? Nobody cares! Shut up!

If you were paying attention I explained the 'why' about 12 posts ago, prior to all the pointless back-and-forth in this thread...
Never mud-wrestle with a pig. It doesn't accomplish anything, and after a while you realize that the pig is enjoying it.
If you want to keep up with him, that's your business.
--<< Bruce >>--
Perhaps your ire should be directed to the person that cross posted the post to which I replied. ;)
mike

As usual you do not know what you are talking about. Do a search and you will discover PTD.net is division of SECTV the oldest cable company in the WORLD, established in 1948. It is an all carbon fiber network, based in Allentown Pa, that I can connect to via satellite from wherever I am at the time. Do you want to see some picture from the 2006 Key West Fantasy Fest? LOL

Jeff wrote:

With very little success. Chevy's market share in those segments is minimal compared to the venerable Ford Crown Victoria.