Good rear tires for winter ?

I am needing new rear tires on my 1986 Ford F150 two wheel drive. I live in Iowa so we get a sufficient amount of snow in the winter. I am wanting a good all weather radial with good traction in the winter if that is possible. What do you people use that get good traction in the winter and also run all year around ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

"The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in news:f94fp7 $nc7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

one of the most imporant things to remember is to put sand bags or something else soft in the bed for weight. that will make more difference than any perticular tire. about 400 lbs will work pretty well. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Is his wife soft enough?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

About any brand-name (Goodyear, Michelin, etc.) works OK in the snow if you've got some weight in the bed. I use plastic storage boxes that each hold about 25#. 8 of those place FORWARD of the rear axle (mine are actually against the front of the truck bed) gives enough weight on the rear for decent traction with a set of Michelin M&S tires.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

I use Dunlop Graspics in the winter and good touring tires for the summer. I stopped believing in "all season" tires and the tooth fairy.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

My car has Goodyear GT II Eagles. Good tires. Good traction in winter and they work well in the summer too.

You're right. You can't have everything. Where I live and drive, they are much better than storing a set of tires and having to switch them twice a year. In other places, it may be worth it.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but all-season tires are good enough for most people.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm in the Southern Ontario "slush belt" where "all season tires" and "antilock brakes" sell more front end repairs than all other causes combined. Untill anti-lock brakes became the norm, most of us made do with "all season" tires, but there has been a major shift to "season specific" tires - particularly on vehicles with wide low profile tires which turn into "four flying saucers" at the first sign of wet snow. Good narrow agressive treads win hands down, particularly with a hygroscopic tread, like the "ice tires". They give you half a chance of keeping control when braking in the heavy wet sloppy stuff with antilock brakes, which otherwize just assure you that you will hit whatever you hit while travelling in a straight line.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Goodyear Workhorse Extra grips, or Safari MSI's

Reply to
Picasso

depends where you live...

this guys talking a half ton, not a car.

Reply to
Picasso

Mine is a VAN.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

OK, I know... the guy is talking about a halfton, he'll likely want LT tires.

Reply to
Picasso

Actually one would be better advised to remove winter tires, like snow tires, at the end of the season as well. Winter tires like snow tires use a rubber compound that stays pliable at much colder temperatures than ordinary all season tires, but winter tires are constructed with a less aggressive tread design than snow tires.

Unlike show tires, winter tires also have a even softer top layer of rubber, much like the rubber on a motorcycle tire. That top layer of softer rubber wears off at around 10K miles, leaving a cold weather rubber compound for traction in cold climates.

By removing the winter tires at the end of winter one can easily get two or even three years from the tires, depending on ones annual mileage. After the second or third year they can be left on until worn out. Winter tires are best installed on all four wheels for all around better traction in cold weather

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I suppose one could assume a 400 LB wife to be "soft" weight but one might want to think twice before asking to ride in the truck bed. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:fZOdnYyqsbBKCiXbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

A soft wife may have hard nuckles at that point. :) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff