Got a new car...

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
anything to watch for?

--

(\_ _/)
El Bandito wrote:

lived cars on the planet. You will toss rocks at other cars, even with the relatively low MPG of the V-8. There were intake manifold concerns with 4.6Litre CV\GMs in the later 90s but I'm not sure if yours is one. Likely is, but it's about a $300 DIY repair if needed. The plastic intake manifold would break behind the alternator and coolant would go everywhere. If yours has an aluminum runner behind the alternator, it's the replacement. Other than that, they are great, long lived, comfortable cars. Enjoy.
What makes you believe 25 MPH highway, is a 'relatively' low MPG? Many smaller V6 cars barely do much better
mike hunt

Where in the world did you find a new 1999 GM? Lucky you, the GM is a great car.
mike hunt

It's my *new* car, but it's not brand new.
(got it at a car dealer, 81,000Kms, really clean and in oustanding shape (not even a small rust spot)
81,000 Kms is nothing for those big engines. I'll probably miss the Contour's roadhandling though...
--

(\_ _/)
OIC, you meant you got a different car. Not to worry about the handling, that RWD CV will easily out handle your old FWD car. ;)

I went from an '84 T-Bird that I dearly loved to a '95 Crown Vic. Mine is an LX with air suspension, anti-lock, and traction control. I was a bit uncomfortable with the gizmo-technology at first but I am now quite impressed, overall. I've had mine 6 years / 100,000 miles and it just gets more comfy. Not the police package but plenty fast and great for long drives. Enjoy!
PoD

El Bandito wrote:

What intake manifold did you have on that 351M?
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

Or was it a 351W?
Rob
Nope... definitelay a Cleveland according to the Mechnaic
--

(\_ _/)
To be 100% honnest, I wasn't really into cars when I got that 'bird (was my first car, one of my friends sold it to me). The only reason I knew it was a 351C was the quite explicit *&^%$# my mechanic left out when he popped the hood open. I might be mistaking, but IIRC it was a Edelbrock carb.

(\_ _/)
Lay the Rust Check (R) To it. That stuff is liquid friggin gold!