Got a new car...

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

anything to watch for?

Reply to
El Bandito

Yep. Addiction. Your GM is one of the most comfortable, reliable, longest lived cars on the planet. You will toss rocks at other cars, even with the relatively low MPG of the V-8. There were intake manifold concerns with 4.6Litre CV\GMs in the later 90s but I'm not sure if yours is one. Likely is, but it's about a $300 DIY repair if needed. The plastic intake manifold would break behind the alternator and coolant would go everywhere. If yours has an aluminum runner behind the alternator, it's the replacement. Other than that, they are great, long lived, comfortable cars. Enjoy.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Where in the world did you find a new 1999 GM? Lucky you, the GM is a great car.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What makes you believe 25 MPH highway, is a 'relatively' low MPG? Many smaller V6 cars barely do much better

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's my *new* car, but it's not brand new.

(got it at a car dealer, 81,000Kms, really clean and in oustanding shape (not even a small rust spot)

81,000 Kms is nothing for those big engines. I'll probably miss the Contour's roadhandling though...
Reply to
El Bandito

OIC, you meant you got a different car. Not to worry about the handling, that RWD CV will easily out handle your old FWD car. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My first car was a 79 Tbird (gas guzzling 4-barreled 351), handling was not as nice as my 95 Contour (different technologies, different eras :)

But I've got a good feeling about the GM, salesman tells me it's got an electronic controlled suspension (I guess adaptive suspension), along with traction control (which I'm not sure I like, same for ABS.)

Anyways, it's not as if I had a choice, the tranny died in my Contour, and there's no way in hell I'll pony up 850$ CAD to have them put in another tranny (used).

I would have prefered a Police Interceptor CV, but the GM will probably be very nice too :)

R.I.P Contour

1995-2006

Reply to
El Bandito

I went from an '84 T-Bird that I dearly loved to a '95 Crown Vic. Mine is an LX with air suspension, anti-lock, and traction control. I was a bit uncomfortable with the gizmo-technology at first but I am now quite impressed, overall. I've had mine 6 years / 100,000 miles and it just gets more comfy. Not the police package but plenty fast and great for long drives. Enjoy!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Reply to
Picasso

What intake manifold did you have on that 351M?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Or was it a 351W?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

To be 100% honnest, I wasn't really into cars when I got that 'bird (was my first car, one of my friends sold it to me). The only reason I knew it was a

351C was the quite explicit *&^%$# my mechanic left out when he popped the hood open. I might be mistaking, but IIRC it was a Edelbrock carb.
Reply to
El Bandito

Nope... definitelay a Cleveland according to the Mechnaic

Reply to
El Bandito