got a problem

87 ranger 2.9 v6 auto 2 wd , diagnosing a electrical and possible computer control problem i found in the cluster that there was no check engine bulb none at all no receptacle and no bulb
also the printed circuit wasnt even punched out for one , is this right or did someone change the cluster? its really freakng me out because i cant figure out why my diagnostic reader wont communicate with the processor......any help will be greatly appreciated....mike
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

In 1987, there was no requirement for a check engine light.
The first requirements for onboard diagnostics were in 1988.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-Board_Diagnostics

Jeff
You are looking at an early EEC-IV. Those did not have a CEL. Diagnostics are rather limited - don't expect a lot. All the 'communication' between the test connector and the computer consists of grounding one pin and counting pulses coming out on another. If the engine is running at all, I would rather suspect your reader than the computer. Does it work on another vehicle? You don't really need a 'reader'. A paper clip and a test light accomplish exactly the same thing. Google archives of this group for details how to connect those.