Hard shifting transmission in 97 Taurus

I have a 97 Taurus with 87k 3.0l V6 VIN U.
For the past couple weeks the car has been shifting harshly going from 1->2 when accelerating and 2->1 when slowing. My mechanic noticed there
was fluid leaking and replaced the side pan gasket. The car was still acting up so he recommended a transmission shop for me to visit and get their opinion. The tranny shop thought the motor mounts might be bad, which was a lot cheaper option than I thought I would get. : ) So I replaced the motor mounts on Mon and the transmission is still shifting harshly.
What are my options at this point? I have read that Ford supposedly solved the trans problems with the 97 and up. What else should I be looking at as a potential cause of the problem now? Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

There could be a bad valve or something. You might be able to read transmission error codes, similar to the OBDII codes.
Jeff

I have a very cheap one line code scanner that I hooked up to the car and it came back with "No Codes." Do I need something more advanced to read the transmission error codes?