haynes manuals - anyone complained to them?

Hi
I've done recent repairs to my 2000 windstar and used my Haynes manual. Now I've also got a CD version of the Ford mechanics manual. I read both and then use my head for what should be done as I think we
all do. Anyway, the last 4 things I've done have been described incorrectly or out and out wrong in the Haynes manual. This really makes me uneasy for all the other folks who may not have the luxury of a shop manual, common sense, both etc.
Has anyone actually taken Hayes to task with this? I really wonder if I'd done my brakes (the most recent job) as the Hayes manual suggested because I'm sure there would have been a breakdown following their method, torque settings and suggestions of which parts can be reused and which should be replaced.
With so much litegation I'm surprised nobody has taken them to the cleaners.
Any thoughts?
Cameron
Duuno about anyone else but I've _always_ taken Hayes with a grain of salt. If I'm going to bother, I go directly to the source for my information. It's too bad, really, but if there are typos in the factory service manuals - there are - you can pretty much guess what's going to happen from a third party publication. As far as legalities go, I'm sure Hayes has a blurb in each manual that resembles the Microsoft EULA ie: 'Give us your money. In return, you don't own anything and we don't guarantee anything.' 'Further, if our stuff screws up your equipment, that's your problem. We couldn't care less, so don't ask' 'Come back in a year or so and give us more $. You know you want to.'

See similiar thread about how bad Chilton manuals are.
I suspect that they may have been useful at some point in the distant past.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in message

From uk.rec.cars.maintenance - Haynes manuals decoded:
http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/real-haynes.htm
Cameron wrote:

i have the haynes repair manual for the 93 taurus and it shows different types of things(motor mounts, etc. and how to remove them and reinstall the new ones)... nothing like the ones i have on my car.. but it is suppose to cover the 89-94 model and might be correct for one of the years???? who knows...

Most of the photos that I've been able to identify seem to be from a 91 or earlier Taurus. Not a single word of useful advice in that book, IMHO. Every question I have needed answered about my wife's 94 was answered here. I wonder if the lack of information is either:
a) material elided because of concerns about liability if someone blows his head off with an airbag, or whatever.
b) material deliberately omitted to keep Ford dealerships in business!!

Where does one get the mechanics manuals (CD or print)?
I've had Haynes manuals for my previous two vehicles because that's what I can find in the store. The most recent vehicle I got (private sale) came with the Ford Shop Manuals. Those manuals are a _lot_ better than the Haynes. The exploded wire frame diagrams are extremely helpful (better, too, than the occaisonal photograph from the Haynes) and more detailed. I'd love to know how to obtain those manuals.
TIA, -D
--
"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."

Hmm. The manual I have looks very informative. I haven't personally done any work on my 1990 Bronco II yet, but the sections I read really improved my knowledge and understanding of the vehicle. (namely the replacing the radial arm bushings and the oil pan) I have two paper books -- the title is "1990 Aerostar/Ranger/Bronco II Truck Shop Manual", volume one is Engine/Chassis and volume 2 is Body/Electrical. Possibly the paper manual is more helpful than the cd version, or maybe your mom didn't get the publication you really wanted?
-D
--
If you hold to [Jesus'] teaching, you are really [Jesus'] disciples.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I was looking for. The price only seems high until you hold the Ford manual next to the Haynes manual. The price matches the table printed in the back of the one the previous owner gave me, so I wasn't shocked at that.
-D
--
Your mouse has moved.
You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.
wrote:

is
manuals
my

Helm (http://www.helminc.com ) publishes service manuals for Ford and many other brands of cars. You can buy the manuals from them, a car dealer of the appropriate brand, some on-line car parts places, and some on-line book stores. Bentley (http://www.rb.com ) publishes service manuals for some other brands of cars.
Timothy J. Lee