head gasket

I have a 95 taurus wagon, I just got it a couple of months ago, and needed to replace the thermostat. Maybe the water pump too. Anyway it's too late now I blew the head gasket and the mechanic tells me he wants
$2000 to fix it. Is this reasonable?
Thanks in advance for your input
For the water pump, parts included yes. There thermostat is a 5 minute job, I wouldn't pay someone to do it.
---------------------------------- http://www.carforums.net / Auto Forums
I feel its to much myself when you can buy a factory rebuilt engine for just about the same price or go to a salvage yard and get one for a few hundred.
theeggman wrote:

I don't think the whole car is worth $2,000 to replace. You don't state the mileage or mechanical conditions on the vehicle, but I'd seriously look at parting it out or junking it if you can't work on it yourself. Maybe find the local high school trade to do the work. How far behind is the transmission from failing? Personally, I avoid throwing good money after bad and tend to move on.

If it's a 3.0L and Ax4N (or "SHO") trans, I'd consider it.. esp the HS shop route..
If 3.8 and AX4S... may not be worth it, esp if the trans has not been prev replaced or rebuilt.
you pay..DEAL with it!

I'm going to assume you have a 3.8 engine. They're notorious for head gaskets. Really, really notorious. I really wouldn't sink another $2000 in it. A good portion of the time, the bottom end (bearings) is ruined due to the antifreeze that gets mixed with the oil. If you just do the head gaskets, you're likely to need the rest of the rebuild pretty soon.
If $2000 includes a rebuild of the entire engine, that might be different. If you have high miles though, you need to consider that you're likely to need a transmission long before you recoup the $2000 you put in the engine. At that point, you'll be coming here asking if you should sink another $2500 into a 95 Taurus that's already consumed $2000 in repairs, not including the purchase price.
CJB