Head-light Assembly

I have a 1999 Ford Escort SE, the inside of the head-light assembly is fogged up with condensation, I want to know how to remove the plastic lens cover over the head-light & turn signal assembly. Please include explicite instructions for removal and replacement. Thanks! ~wolfpak~

Reply to
wolfpak

We sell a lot of assemblies because they are nearly impossible to get apart after they have aged for seven years. Probably the best way it to remove the whole assembly from the car. The upper fasteners are easy but you have to drop the face bar to get to the lower bolts. Once the assembly is off the car you can carefully pry the lens from the housing, you'll see interlocking tabs but you will have to reseal the lens when you re-assemble.

A safer method is to put the whole unit (less the bulb) in an oven at 150° until the moisture has gassed off and not worry about the dust that has collected inside. Make sure the weep hole at the bottom is open, spread silicone around the joints and be sure the gasket for the lamp seals well.

Good luck, Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

Better yet drill a small hole into the bottom through which the water can bleed out. The heat from the lamp will take care of the remaining moisture.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Just loosen the bulb and park the car facing south. The sunshine will remove the condensation in a few hours.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

Sharon? Smile? ...

Wolfpak.... Your asking allot... How good are you with tools? If you are good with tools, take the lamp holders out and Check for leaks.

On my 1994 Taurus I seperated my side lamps. carefully... Lens and backing.... Cleaned and polished and put them back together with (GE)(Clear) Silcon. Replaced and all is good...

Yes the Sun can help but it is a leak that will cause this problem...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r