headlight adjustment

I have a 2001 ford cougar and am trying to adjust the vertical alignment of the headlights after having had to replace both bulbs a few weeks ago. I have identified the adjusting screws but there
doesn't seem to be much movement in the beam when the adjusting screws are turned. I have only turned them a little - how much does one need to turn them to make a significant difference ?