headlight bulb keeps blowing

headlamp bulb keeps blowing only on passenger side any ideas please would be helpfull

pad wrote:

The next time you replace the bulb, don't let ANYTHING touch the glass portion, INCLUDING your naturally body-grease-laden fingers!
Rob
replying to trainfan1, Hayley wrote:

Hi
My amber warning light was on and I knew what bulb it was, so I got a mechanic to change the bulb. The amber light did go out but the next day after driving to work I did a full light check because the amber light came on again and found it was the same bulb that went. The mechanic was wearing gloves when he changed it, any ideas what is causing it.
Thanks
message

DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS. If you do touch the glass then you must clean it with alcohol. 70% works, but 90% is better. If you have either, then use it. If you have to go out and buy some, then buy 90%. Also, use a tissue, not a rag -- and certainly not a dirty rag.
I'm not sure changing a light bulb is a job for a mechanic, you should be able to do this at home.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:07:31 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"

We don't know what bulb, and on what vehicle. For some vehicles, some bulbs are definiiely a mechanic's job for most people. And for some people, replacing ANYTHING on a car is a "mechanic's job" I've seen and worked on cars where replacing a headlight bulb is a half hour job for someone with all the right tools who KNOWS what he is doing.

You could be right, but it assumes that people are idiots. I have never seen a bulb that could not replaced at home. Yes, I have seen some that are hard to reach, but none needs a mechanic if one is reasonably inclined to find the hood latch.
Yes, some people need a mechanic, but that does not change the fact that not all jobs on a car actually require a mechanic. I prefer to assume that people are intelligent and able to solve problems through reasonable observation. One _should_ be able to change a light bulb at home. I agree, however, that not all are able to do this.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:18:00 +0000, Hayley

First of all, what bulb was it? If it was a halogen headlight, the glass must NOT be touched, even with a glove (particularly one that is not PERFECTLY clean.) If it was not a headlight bulb, unlikely to be a touch problem - and quite possibly not even a bulb problem. Could well be a bad connectionin the socket, or a bad ground, or a broken wire. Taking it out and replacing the bulb could have re-established the connection short term - or you might just have gotten a crappy replacement bulb. Quality control on the cheap crap import bulbs is quite lax, and a lot of garages are buying the cheapest parts they can get their hands on.

The OP said it is a headlight.
pad wrote: "headlamp bulb keeps blowing only on passenger side any ideas please would be helpfull"
Make sure that there is no mositure in the lens. Do not touch the buld when installing it.
Sarge

And, make sure the lamp assembly is tight. If it vibrates, the bulbs will fail.
Al
Clean bulb with alcohol and do not let anything touch the glass after cleaning and installing. I always clean new bulbs since I've had them fail right out of the package and there is no warranty on bulbs.
--
John
Check what other posters have said about keeping the bulb clean and not touching it, but if it still fails you might have a bad socket.