Headlight problem 97 F-150

Both Hi & Lo beamss do not function. All fuses are OK and I am able to get the Hi Beams to work by pulling - and holding the turn signal lever. back The light swith operates all other lights normally (tail,
interior) and causes the warning horn when key is removed. I was told that there is a bipass around the light switch for the temporary high beams via holding the turn lever back and it is therefore very likely my headlight switch and not the multifunction switch in turn signal - would appreciate some confirmation before I go digging into the problem and spending money.
Thanks for any information or advice.
LOKE wrote:

Likely headlight switch since high AND low thru the MF switch to fail at the same time is unlikely. The headlight switch is also cheaper and easier to change than the MF switch.

Sharon,
Thanks for the feedback. I read somewhere that the tempory Hi Beam (vial pulling back on the turn signal) has a "by-pass" power supply to the headlights that does not go through the headlight switch, If this is true it makes your advice more logical. As you said - that switch is less expensive (but still over $100 in this model) and a lot easier to get to than getting into the sterring wheel column.
If anyone else has further confirmation on this or more adice - please add it.
Thanks again,
DP
Remove the headlight switch from the dash but leave the connector plugged in. Turn the headlights on and backprobe the red with yellow trace wire with a test light... (make sure your test light is not the self powered type and that it has a good ground).