Heater core replacement on '86 T-Bird. Insight requested.

Page 1 of 2
Is it really as entailed as the manuals say? Looking for some shortcuts...something like the 1 hour job the '83 cougar was (could never get that lucky)!
Not requiring a detailed step-by-step, just hints, suggestions, and work-arounds from those familiar with this one.
Thanks, Tj
Karen Hall wrote:

I did the evaporator on my '86 Lincoln Mark VII a number of years ago. Took all day...outside...on a hot Texas August summer day. If you manage to get that far, I recommend you replace the evap along with the heater core. I followed the shop manual. Center console and dash must be moved to gain access. Stan K.
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:09:05 -0600, Stan Kasperski

why dont you replace the engine too??
lmfao U GO GIRL
hurc ast

Uh, well, umm, I'll most definitely pass on that considering I just did that 2 years ago. <G>
Btw, what's that single wire that activates remote modules and control panels as soon as the driver turns on the radio called?
LOL

Same thing it was called two years ago when lame brain brought it up the first time. <yawn>

Indeed.

still waiting for warman to tell me i hear the hutterites in slave lake like disco
hurc ast
If you look back at an earlier post, I specifically told you that I don't work on entertainment systems much..... thusly, any wire called audio system on bears little meaning or use to me.
You, however, are above answering questions???? What is minimum cranking ICP and what would I work on to read it? I'm sure you know the answer but you are too good to answer it, right?
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:05:32 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao hey warman like i care about injection cvontrol pressure
lmfao better do that 100 times lmfao NEXT
hurc ast
you go snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

This post says "I work at the Circuit City Road Shop, so I don't need to know anything" all over it... One step above Wal-Mart oil changer.
Now sir, what exactly is "Injection Control Pressure"? Enlighten me.
JS
PS - the only ICP I know of is the Insane Clown Posse. They *suck*
I did the heater core replacement job on my 85 T-Bird which is darn close to the 86. It was a cold Janurary in New York. I did it nights in my unheated garage after work. It was probably 1992 or 1993. The real Ford Shop Manual helps alot. You have alot of good suggestions before my entry here. My two cents follows.
Keep track of what nuts and bolts and sheet metal screws go where.
Use the best quality replacement heater core you can get your hands on. You don't want to do this job twice.
Once you take care of the A/C issues you want to disconnect the battery.
Your car is not new. You are going pretty deep into the electronics and heating ductwork. You are not on the clock being paid by the hour. Look for other potential troubles to fix while you are down there this deep like cracked vacuum hoses, falling apart foam seals on ductwork, rusty control cables, worn insulation on electrical wires, maybe even water leaks.
Pull the instrument cluster and replace the halogen lamps used for cluster illumination and the instrument panel voltage regulator that is tacked onto the back of the cluster.
Be careful putting it all back together. Easy to pinch a wire, hose. or something else that will be a pain to figure out.
Appreciate the additional info Steve. There's no substitute for acquiring as much insight as possible from first hand knowledge holders. Lot of good points and reminders there! I'm two states down from you so it's still a bit nippy here too. Unfortunately I have a frame-off resto in progress in the garage so when I get to working on my mom's T-bird it will most likely be outside, brrrrrrrrrr!
Best Regards, Tj

lmfao its not that hard of job go fot it
hurc ast
"Karen Hall" wrote

Here, have some more:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/heatercore.html

acquiring as

Fabulous...and pictures to boot! Thanks much for this pointer.
Regards, Tj
Steve Stone wrote:

Bravo Steve, excellent addendum. If the OP prints these replies out and waves them over his car, that heater core may just jump right in there;)

you must be the idm
idiot dum mechanic
lmfao
U GO GIRL get powerstroked
hurc ast
you go snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not any sort of mechanic at all - never claimed to be. Anything I fix, break or break while fixing is mine to worry about and pay for. I maintain a factory bumper to bumper extended warranty w/ rental car coverage on my daily driver. My transportation is my job, if its broken, so am I...

Google answered the question nicely, learned something new. Thanks!

No thanks, if I was in the market for a Diesel it'd be a 5.9L Cummins (I hate glow plugs, and the engine warranty applies a cummins shops as well as dodge dealers). Unluckily you're stuck buying it in a Dodge, an F550 (if Ford is still offering it, they were a few years back) or an FL50...
I personally don't have use for a truck that big. As my half-ton Dodge is paid for and still runs pretty well (amazing for a mexican-built Chrysler product), I don't see myself buying a new truck for a long time to come.
The new Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 sure looks nice... I just can't justify paying the $12k difference between trade-in on my dodge and invoice on the nissan... :P
JS
Actually, Jacob... the HEUI injected diesel is a fascinating (and complex) read... ping me off line if you'd like an overview of the system.
After all the hoopla over the "new" 6.0 diesel, I understand we are going to see something new circa 2007.....

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:39:53 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao 6 liter is POS huey injectors are oldstuff perhaps time for jimbo to get a HD ticket i bet he has never seen an international
hurc ast

Urgh! I was hoping to hear better news, like...remove this one special screw and... ;-)
Being up north here I'll probably have a bit better weather for the job. Plus, my mom rarely uses the A/C so I'll probably pass on the evap. The system had a slooooooow leak anyhow and the R-12 I put in it 3 years ago is most likely leaked out by now.
Thanks for the input Stan! Tj