heater motor removal (Fiesta 1993)

A friends heater motor give up recently, so I thought this can't be a bad job.
Went to the scrappy (to practice heater motor removal) Its a fiesta OHV 1.1
(LReg)(1993) anyway this turned out to be a nightmare to take out. I tried in vain to remove it, without just pulling the damn thing out. I ended up breaking the casing - I now have to fit this in my friends car.
any tips appreciated