Heater Works Again

Fellow Ford Drivers,

Around November last year the heater on my 1978 Ford Granada stopped working. I replaced the thermostat, put air through the hose leading to the heater core (no blockage and no leaks), the air flow changed as I moved the lever through the settings, and both the lower and upper radiator hoses were hot. In April I noticed a small leak on the radiator and had to replace my

14 year old Modine with a Visteon. The heater now works so my question is how can a radiator prevent the heater from working? Is this unusual?

Thanks for any input

Reply to
azazel scratch

If the radioator was not working well, then most of the coolant would be going through the radiator, leaving little coolant to go through the heater core in the dash.

At least that is my guess.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I can only guess that coolant level was too low or the heater core had some sort of temporary blockage..... however, this is NOT November and, if the heater core is restricted, it will rear it's ugly head once again come cold weather.

For the other responder.... heater cores and radiators fail in one (or both) of only two ways..... Flow will be restricted through calcification, sediment or the addition of some popular stop leak products - or..... the coolant will fall on the ground. If we apply logical thought process, we can determine that no fluid conduit can fail in such a way that the inside diameter is larger than the outside diameter without some sort of visible indication...

Reply to
Jim Warman