HELP - 02 Ranger - NO BRAKE LIGHTS

02 ranger 4x4 edge plus 3.0. no brake lights. I replaced switch at brake pedal with no change. I don't know what else to look for.....
Reply to
steveo84

You can always start with something simple, like,

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE BULBS ??????????

POWER AND GROUND OK ?????????

POWER AT THE SWITCH ?????????

Reply to
johanb

All are okay.....

Reply to
steveo84

So you have power to and from switch, power and ground at the bulbs, and the bulbs are ok...........

Just posting to keep us busy ????????

your system should work, unless you're just guessing at some things.

Reply to
johanb

yea, every other function works ie turn and tail, and the switch has power (i can shift out of park, etc) but they still don't operate. all fuses are good in the entire truck.

Reply to
steveo84

Check the hazard lights to see if they work (BTW, does the high mount brake light work?)... if it appears that they do (from the indicators in the cluster), physically look to be sure.

Reply to
Jim Warman

check for power on lg wire at the boo switch pin 4

Goes from boo switch pin 4 to connector c212 pin4 to multi function switch pin 9

comes out MF switch pin 2 and pin 10 and are both going to connector c212 pin 10 and 11 to fuse box fuse f2.3 and f2.7

from there to connector c340 pin 35 and 36 to connector c421 pin 1 and 5 to the tail lite

considering they are both not working i would concentrate on the wire between the boo switch pin 4 and MF switch pin 9 and look for broken wire, if ok look for no power on pin 2 and 10 out MF switch , if no power on 2 and10 and power on pin9 the switch is bad.

Also check fuse f2.9 / f2.13 / f2.10 / f2.21/ f2.3 / f2.7and make sure there all ok

See that wasnt hard..........

good luck

Reply to
johanb

Oh , i forgot, that $92 for diag

:-)

Reply to
johanb

thank you i will try that

Reply to
steveo84

Okay, now that we've covered that, where is the MF switch and those connectors, and are the fuses listed those that are located under the hood?

Reply to
steveo84
02 ranger 4x4 edge plus 3.0. NO BRAKE LIGHTS

I replaced switch at brake pedal with no change. I don't know what else to look for. Every other function works ie turn and tail, and the switch has power (i can shift out of park, etc) but they still don't operate. all fuses are good in the entire truck.

=====================

If the rear turns work, the brake lights work. They both use the same lamp filaments. The turn signal switch provides the logic to determine whether brake lights, turn signals, or combination brake and turn are needed. The turn signal switch may be defective.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

okay so where is that switch?

Reply to
steveo84

okay so where is that switch?

=================================

If you are referring to the turn signal switch, it is inside the steering column, near where the turn signal lever enters the column.

The steering wheel must usually be removed to get access to a turn signal switch.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

thank you Ill see how it goes

Reply to
steveo84

NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!! I was reading around on some other sites... My brake lights work when the steering wheel is in the highest position. This means that my multifunction switch (Turn Stalk) is malfunctioning. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REPLCE THIS?!! And how much it will cost? Thank you.

Reply to
steveo84

"steveo84" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

It does?

I would think it indicates a bad wiring connection.. but they may be right.

What site IS that, btw?

Buy a Haynes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

BE CAREFUL, you'll need to disable the airbags before removing the switch, or we may learn a lot about your family in the paper. Obit's are good for that......

Reply to
Eric G