HELP/96 Taurus

Any help most appreciated... Backyard Mechanic was most helpful - but now need advice on the engine installation... could it have been done incorrectly? thanks
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;> Subject: Fw: Fw: '96 Taurus/temp fluctuating Date: Sunday, April 25, 2004 10:22 AM
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 10:49 PM Subject: Re: Fw: '96 Taurus/temp fluctuating
| Dad, | Did park car on hill and fill up... which did work. | On short trips where coolant didn't get hot enough, | the level finally maintained with no overheating. | Thought problem was fixed. Today though on trip to | Chattanooga, 1st long trip since fill up accomplished | - same problem. Pulled off exit ramp - at low rpms, | the coolant overheated and boiled out the filler cap. | | Showed it to a mechanic the other day who seemed | extremely good and he sd he heard a | whump-whump-whump-whump-whump sound out the exhaust (I | couldn't make it out). He's a former racer / | rebuilder. Much experience. He though this | whump-whump-whump sound coming out the exhaust | indicated that the mechanic who put the intake gasket | on, might have put it on upside down - which | apparently is easy to do - and this would cause the | circualtion problem... and the sound he heard. | | Guess I will try a water pump next, just to eliminate | that as a problem - if that doesn't fix it, I'll take | it and see if it is an upside down intake gasket. | | Can you see if your Ford experts have heard of the | upside down intake gasket causing this problem? They | were dead on right about parking on a hill to | completely fill the car. | | Love, | David | | | |
| > A good suggestion David....park on a hill with the | > front of the car pointing | > up the hill and let it set awhile... or on the | > ramps... good luck.. love | > Dad | > ----- Original Message -----
| > Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech | > Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 5:00 PM | > Subject: Re: '96 Taurus/temp fluctuating | > | > | > | Ralph Griffith wrote in rec.autos.tech | > | | > | > Appreciate any suggestions... thanks | > | > From: "Ralph Griffith"
| > | > Subject: 1996 Taurus/water pump? | > | > Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:07 PM | > | > | > | > Any suggestions from this elite group most | > appreciated. | > | > Temp. reading fluctuates on 1996 Taurus, just | > installed a different 3.0 | > | > engine.. | |
just a stupid thought....make sure thermostat is installed with spring in engine...not other way around....saw some body do that once...car ran fine on short around town trips but got hotter than a pistol on the freeway....not over heated but damn hot...scary hot....lot easier than water pump...also should not run that engine with water only...thermostat should be 195 + range...water is almost boiling by time thermostat opens...50/50 mix antifreeze and do the basic stuff...be sure radiator is flowing coolant ok...not clogged...use garden hose and jet nozzle to spray radiator out...from inside engine compartment...clear out any bugs, leaves,debri etc that might be clogging it.....if a bunch of the cooling fins are bent over from the front...very,very carefully using small screwdriver bend out till ya can see bright trouble light suspended behind radiator....if light can get through fairly easy then air can too....don't over look malfunctioning fan motor or fan motor actuation switch...usually plugged into engine block somewhere with wires coming from it either to the fan or to a relay which feeds the fan......whew....about all i can think of on a moments notice...good luck...