Help: 98 Taurus with P1744 code

1998 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0L 2V V6, automatic
The car has had a slow engagement between gears for the past month (since I bought it).. However, after changing the fluid and filter (did not do a
complete flush), it did shift quicker. Today the MIL came on, with code P1744 set.
1. Can the TCC solenoid alone cause this and is it servicable/replaceable with tranny in place?
2. Or am I looking at a new or rebuilt tranny?
3. is a rebuild kit available for the AX4E?
TIA Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Gentlemen,
Can anyone identify the transaxle from the label shown here: http://www.glocktech.net/b/axod.htm