help! 99 windstar skips

99 windstar se 3.8. 186,000 miles (why bother) and counting. has a constant skip - as soon as started - at idle - at low speed - at high speed - at road
speed - i mean constant. I've had vacuum hoses off or loose in the past (it seems everytime I leave the dealer - hmm) but this time I can't find any loose. Alternator and battery replaced a while back and both ck good now. I supposedly need to replace/clean the maf but that's been on I'm ashamed to say for 70k plus miles, it's never affected me before. Recently started blowing smoke real bad and was told it most likely needed rings and I should trash it - couldn't believe it - it's never sat - replaced the pcv and quit smoking (a lesson to the wise - spend the 4 bucks)
any ideas on what may be the skip problem? I'm about exhausted.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
mike wrote:

skip - as soon as started - at idle - at low speed - at high speed - at road speed - i mean constant. I've had vacuum hoses off or loose in the past (it seems everytime I leave the dealer - hmm) but this time I can't find any loose. Alternator and battery replaced a while back and both ck good now. I supposedly need to replace/clean the maf but that's been on I'm ashamed to say for 70k plus miles, it's never affected me before. Recently started blowing smoke real bad and was told it most likely needed rings and I should trash it - couldn't believe it - it's never sat - replaced the pcv and quit smoking (a lesson to the wise - spend the 4 bucks)

The the van to autozone and get the OBD II codes read. There may be some helpful information there. Also, check the condition of the spark plugs. the color and condition of them may be helpful.
Jeff