Help: Headlights Partially Working

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated... I have a 1992 Ford Explorer, 4-door. Recently, I drove into a campground late at night, turning my headlights
on and off, so as not to disturb the sleepers. Early the next morning, I discovered that my headlights didn't illuminate by pulling the switch. Furthermore, the highbeams didn't work when I move the highbeam (turn signal) switch into the position that locks the highbeams on. BUT, when I pull back on the highbeam switch (to illuminate the highbeams only temporarily with the spring-loaded switch), the highbeams DO work! What happened? Which components are suspect? How do I test? I did check the headlight fuse under the hood (and it sparked when I put the fuse back in, with the engine off and the lights off, hmmm?). Sheffel ... at ... usa ... dot ... net
It's the headlight switch. You get high beams when puling back on the stalk (FTP) due to that function bypassing the headlight switch.