HELP HELP PLEASE!! 1989 Ford 150 ECO VAN

My van dies at will. At first if I'd wait 20 to 40 minutes it would start up as if nothing was wrong and I could go for days sometimes weeks. Finally it stopped and refused to start for nearly 9 hours. I have suspected a problem in the fuel line so naturally I started there. I found a cup that screws midway in the fuel line when I took it off found it was empty. I filled it with gas and WALAH, away I went. Been doing this for about a month. Now it is so bad as of yesterday I had to fill it every 2 miles just to get the van home. I am not sure if this is some kind of pressure regulator or condensation cup but I do know when it is empty the van don't move. I am thinking about removing the cup and running the lines with out it. My fear it is Fuel injected, and I am not sure if this ties into that. Anyone out there that can help me PLEASE I need help!!!

Reply to
coop14

Well, you van wont run at all without that cup. On older units, this cup would have a ful filter in it... not sure about your van... if there is an in-line filter closer to the front, there doesn't need to be a filter in the cup..... I'm guessing at a fuel pump concern but there needs to be some testing to be sure... fuel pressure should be tested when the concern is present (even though the lack of fuel in the cup indicates a lack of pressure). Powers and grounds, circuit integrity... in a van this old, all of these are a possibility.

I think you would be doing yourself a big favour if you got a manual for your unit rather than plunging blindly into unknown territory.

Reply to
Jim Warman