HELP! - How do I polish plexiglas headlights? ('98 Contour SVT)

Subject line pretty well states the problem - I have a '98 SVT Contour, and the plexiglas headlights are becoming opaque. I bought some plexiglas polish from an autoparts store and rubbed away at them for an hour or so without any improvement. Anybody else had any luck solving this? Please respond to my e-mail address - not sure when I'll get back to this newsgroup.

Dan Hollenbaugh

Reply to
Dan & Jan Hollenbaugh

i got a 96 contour and the same problem: went to auto parts store and got some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound in a tin for $1.79... open the hood and take some duct tape and put it around the sides and bottom of the plastic lenses to protect the painted bumer and fenders, with the hood open you dont have to worry about the top as the lenses will be the highest thing in the area... i then took an old face cloth(the kind with the bumps on it)... wet the rag in water and squeezed it out and then put some of the compound on the rag.. went to town on each lense for about 5 minutes..... wiped it off and did it again for another 5 minutes.. if you use a light colored cloth you gonna see the compound turn from white to a yellow or brown color- thats what you are trying to get off the plastic lenses.... i then cleaned them off and did it again.... i then took an electric drill with a polishing bonnet on the end and did a number on it lightly and it looked like new glass for the lenses..... i got one of those cheap plastic magnifier head bands that they sell at Harbor Freight for about $4.00 and i could see during the time i was doing this that the brow/yellow stuff was coming off.. after cleaning it up i then took the tape off and used some WD-40 to cut the sticky stuff that came off the tape and wanted to stay on the painted body of the car... no problem there it came right off.... I would check on

web site and see if you can get any other info.. i have seen where people swear by using sandpaper on the lenses, but i would not suggest that.. i tried some very fine grit sandpaper on an old broken lense and it just scraped up the plastic so much that it looked like the old Frosted Glass where you could not see through it....

Reply to
jim

Your headlights are most likely made out of polycarbonate, not acrylic (Plexiglas is a trade name of acrylic). The polish may still clear the surface, however, much of the damage is below the surface of the plastic due to UV rays and weathering. Unfortunately, you would have to replace the headlights. John

Reply to
jriegle